German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Dogs and health: A lower risk for heart disease-related death?   Controversies, Catastrophes and Teaky Moments (Enter at your own risk)

Started Jun-11 by Solitaire13; 578 views.
Solitaire13

Jun-11

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jun-11

I agree with everything but the breed.  Why would terriers be better for people than other breeds?  Terrier behaviors can be very stressful.

Solitaire13

Jun-11

I found that odd too. Even the AKC concurs and says that is why the Terrier Group, despite having many breeds, is a very small segment of dogs registered per year.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jun-11

Terriers are diverse.  I bet most registered terriers are the lapdog types, like Maltese and Shih Tzus vs the game breed types.

Solitaire13

Jun-11

I think Maltese and Shih Tzus are in the Toy Group, no?

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jun-11

But they are also terriers.  They were bred to kill.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jun-11

This made sense until I got to the explanation of Bull Type. More like Bull ####.

LakotaGSD

Jun-11

Airedale Terriers might be the exception.

A friend of mine worked in Nevada on a ranch they had Airedales working cattle. That blew my mind. They said the dogs were biddable and didn't fight his boss bred them and he claimed they could herd and do sentry work and the British police used them at one time as Police dogs and some of them went to off to war. Probably WWII but I don't know for sure.

Solitaire13

Jun-11

I wonder how this works: 

• Modifying the microbiome. The huge number of bacteria in our digestive tracts changes not only with changes in diet, but also with pet ownership. It’s possible that having a dog alters the types of bacteria we harbor, which in turn could affect inflammation in the body and resultant cardiovascular risk.
LakotaGSD

Jun-12

I do too. I wonder how we could find out?