German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

#ShameOnYou Met Police... A dog in clear estate of distress,   Controversies, Catastrophes and Teaky Moments (Enter at your own risk)

Started Jun-13 by Solitaire13; 283 views.
Solitaire13

Jun-13

#ShameOnYou Met Police... A dog in clear estate of distress,

#ShameOnYou Met Police... A dog in clear estate of distress, how can you treat a dog like this... Grrrr #FreeTommyRobinson

Wolfenblu

Jun-13

He was really upset. The handler was completely ignoring him. The others seemed to be there with their dogs. I think he needed a little comfort but maybe it was his first time in a situation like that.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jun-13

The dog looks unsuited for crowd work.

selzer

Jun-14

Comforting a dog who is showing a behavior you do not want, often rewards the behavior.  If the dog is a certified police k9, than his temperament should be ok with suck-it-up, and next time out he will probably be better. 

Actually, even dogs that are not k9s, I think we coddle them much too often, and the result is that something that might last 5-10 minutes goes on for months or even years. 

In reply toRe: msg 4
DW (GSDogwalker)

Jun-14

I agree with that, but question whether the dog is either suitable or ready.  He should have been crowd tested before that.

In reply toRe: msg 4
Wolfenblu

Jun-17

Ok I agree with that but I didn't explain what I meant, there are different kind of comfort if the handler would have just touched the dog or spoke the dogs name it sometimes snaps them out of doing something. Sometimes it takes a correction.

I didn't mean get down on one knee and pet and sooth them like you would a 9 week old puppy.

You can do it with your body language see how some of the handlers have their dogs almost between their legs this is comforting in a different way tells the dog yes you are doing right and I am with you. Its not babying. The dog is obviously stressed out.

I had a young dog that was flipping out once because they had a road block and they asked me to unload my van and hold 4 dogs on leashes so they could check my van for escaped inmates they had K9s all kinds of noise and lights going on. (How they thought a criminal could lurk in there when every square space was taken up by crates I don't know)

All I did was say his name and lightly touch him to snap him out of the barking and circling. He is unsure of himself but that doesn't mean he has bad nerves or should be washed it means he needs some direction. Maybe the handler tried it we don't know but I would at least tried a collection move it looks like the handler didn't care to me.  Crowds like that can be stressful in ways other police work isn't.

We were in a parade once one of my dogs had an episode where he froze and I won't say he was scared but we turned to corner and there was a ton of cheering people. He was like were did all these people come from I told my son who was walking him to tell him to heel and that snapped him out of it.  Comfort isn't always petting or baby talk sometimes its routine as being told a command.

Hope this makes more sense, no petting and crooning is not going to help but a new experience sometimes even people freeze and if someone says something to them or nudges them they will go on with what needs to be done.