German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Breaking the rules... again! (graphic)   Controversies, Catastrophes and Teaky Moments (Enter at your own risk)

Started Jun-13 by Solitaire13; 654 views.
Solitaire13

Jun-13

Admin, please delete if this is not appropriate.

This link was a live video put out by a young mother who was mauled by her father's Pit Bulls a couple of weeks ago.  She was shamed by family and friends for naming the breed to the point of recanting her story replacing "Pit Bulls" with "dogs".  The Pit Bull actually pulled a bone from her arm and swallowed it. The video does show some stitches, but is not gory.  The reason I chose to post this is because it gives a real life viewpoint of how a mauling can permanently impact and change a life and their are hundreds of thousands of victims of this breed.

Holly Mckenzie

Holly Mckenzie was live.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jun-13

I can’t even watch it. Your post was gory enough.  We won’t move it but can we put up gore warnings and let people decide if they can handle it or not?

Solitaire13

Jun-13

Absolutely, do you want to do the honors?

Solitaire13

Jun-13

It is more of a frightening tear jerker than anything else.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jun-13

OK. I moved it from the welcome folder too. Did she ever speak out against the breed and her sicko father?

Solitaire13

Jun-13

She is covering for her father, which is understandable, and she once again has named the breed.  

How did this get in the welcome folder?

Wolfenblu

Jun-13

That is so sad.

A friend of mine just rescued a family from a pit bull. They were at the shelter and about to be talked into a pit when the shelter worker went to get the paper work my friend did some fast talk.

They left without the dog and went to her rescue and got a very nice golden/gsd mix.

She was there to pick up a GSD puppy slated to be put down because it had heartworm. She has a very small rescue 3-10 dogs at a time between her and her daughter. She said there was nothing but pits and lap dogs at the shelter, besides the lone sick GSD pup that had been brought there because the people couldn't afford heartworm treatment.

Solitaire13

Jun-13

That is what shelters are like here.  It is sad.

I am reading a book on evaluating shelter dogs by Sue Sternberg.  She has been at it for over 30 years.  I plan on starting a thread about it when I am done as there is some invaluable advice about dogs in general but also about the state of the shelter system today.  It is a fascinating read.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jun-13

I counted once and 80% of the dogs in the shelter were pits.  We were looking for a lap dog for a woman who needed advice.

Solitaire13

Jun-13

Our shelters run 95-98% Pits.  They import dogs from other states because the demand here for non fighting breeds is high.