German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Walking in a straight line... who knew?   Controversies, Catastrophes and Teaky Moments (Enter at your own risk)

Started Aug-13 by Solitaire13; 641 views.
Marypickford

Aug-26

Our Palestinian Canaan Hound was a lovely dog. I don't recall her having problems staying at heal on a leash. Off leash she was all over the place. When other dogs came to visit, she would play the game of herding them. I'm pretty sure she would have herded sheep like a champ with some training.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Aug-28

They are beautiful dogs.  Very rare.

Marypickford

Aug-28

My gods. She was intelligent, loving, loyal, and when you looked in her eyes, you saw a person. It was uncanny. Then some idiot ran her down. Like a regular dog, she had little car sense.

I cried for a while when I heard . The funny thing is, my brother found her wandering the desert in Arizona. She was most certainly a purebred according to the pictures and descriptions. An amazing breed with an amazing story. First found as feral dogs, someone rescued the entire breed, put them to herding cattle.  Unlike many herding breeds, it had a short coat, probably because it was a desert dog, but never developed the muddy brown, white and black swirls of many feral dogs. It had a proud tradition in the area, but didn't travel far from it. 

It and the Pyreneese are my favorite dream dogs. Ok. I like Shepherds too. I had one of those as well but it had attention and disposition problems, wouldn't stop jumping on people. We didn't have a farm, and didn't use it as a working dog. It wasn't a good fit. Later my brother got a part  german shepherd, part lab. The shepherd part made it go crazy when it found a scent, and it ignored our calls- at least until the hunt was over. It was the country, and there were plenty of wild turkeys to chase. Still a good dog.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Aug-28

I’m laughing at your descriptions of jumping dogs. They must be exercised and trained.  My dogs have a default Sit or Down which keeps them from jumping.  If their little butts are on the floor they aren’t in my face.  

I looked up Canaan dogs. There are only 18 approved breeders in the US so it’s very difficult to even find one, they have a rigorous approval process.

Solitaire13

Sep-1

Ha ha!  Right out of the Belgian Malinois breed standard: "The breed shows a marked tendency to move in a circle rather than a straight line."

Solitaire13

Sep-2

Neither did I! Learned something new. They say Border Collies are worse.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Sep-2

They move a lot.  So do Aussies.

Kazell

Sep-21

Shelby the GSD we got really loves to circle. While I didn't teach her to walk straight I did teach her she wasn't allowed to do circles around me so she just does wide out circles and loops in front of me. Our other shepherd liked to walk at an angled path not straight, not sure what exactly the reason behind that was.

My gsd/lab mix will drop behind and walk to the other side. I had to work with her on that and worked on teaching her to stay on one side. But I've noticed a lot of dogs do a drop back and around. One of my friends thanked me not too long ago for mentioning that I teach my dog to walk on only one side of me. She said it really helped her for leash training/going on walks and hers isn't a herding breed. Walks can be a bit more hectic when you let them constantly change which side of you they walk on if they're on a leash.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Sep-22

I always use the left side because it’s comfortable for me.