German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Separation Anxiety   Behavior and Training

Started Aug-18 by magnussmommy; 432 views.
magnussmommy

Aug-18

Hello all! I'm wondering if anyone can help with my MALE german shepard MAGNUS!  He is 5 years old and has always lived in the country and loves it but we had to move to the city into an apartment and my neighbor has a FEMALE german shepard! They both are not fixed!! Magnus loves her but he always tries to hump her! But my main concern is that when I bring him inside he cries alot because she's still outside! He will cry throughout the day and it's driving me crazy! FYI me and my neighbor share a wall and a yard! Is there anything I can do?

Showtalk
Host

Aug-18

That is a challenge. Sol has intact dogs and might have more to offer.   If there is any chance she is going into heat you have to keep them separated.  Mine don’t spend a lot of time with other people’s dog except in controlled situations.

Solitaire13

Aug-18

What kind of exercise is your dog getting now that he lives in the city? Does he know any obedience such as No or Leave It?

magnussmommy

Aug-19

hello! He gets a 30 minute walk with 30 mins of me throwing the ball in the morning then 3 more 15-20 mins walks for the rest of the day with 1 more 30 min throwing the ball near end of the day! sooo thats a total of 2 1/2  hours of some sort of activity? We have only been in new place for a month could it be that he's not used to it yet? Also I feel like he can smell her through the wall and maybe thats why he cries? Yes he knows leave it and he'll stop but then he will just lay there until she start moving and then he's back at it! The humping part I feel like I have more control over I will just bring him inside but the CRYING that drives me nuts!!!

magnussmommy

Aug-19

Hello! thanks for replying. We share a yard so it's hard not to be around each other but her owner believes her next heat will come in 6 months! I always keep a short leash on him just in case he doesnt listen but its the CRYING that drives me up the wall that i can't explain!

DW (GSDogwalker)

Aug-19

Is he used to running free and unleashed in the country?  A leashed walk is not the same kind of exercise as running.  Is he used to being with other dogs?  I don’t like dog parks but if there is a clean one that is safe nearby, take him there when it’s not crowded and let him run around.  How big is the area where you throw the ball?

I have a dog turning 4 that can’t handle dog obedience classes, so I found a trainer with small private classes and taught him a lot of different skills. One is scent training.  I hide things, he finds them.  He loves it.  I let him take the object (I taught him Take). Once he gets the prize he races all round with it.  He exercises himself. I’m also going to get agility equipment and teach him agility.  

You can teach him to stop whining by rewarding quiet.  Also if you say anything when he whines, it’s reinforcing the whining.  Even if you say No, it’s a reinforcement.

Showtalk
Host

Aug-19

Is your yard separated from theirs? Can your dog jump the fence?

magnussmommy

Aug-19

He always had to be on a leash in the country due no fences between neighbors and due to animals such as deer and bears have come onto our property soo I had to always keep an eye on him! I basically do an hour of him running for fetch! He is not used to being around dogs all the time. The  yard is actually very large! I love the suggestion of hiding things outside Ive hid things inside but outside seems funnier! I love the suggestion of rewarding quite that just might do the trick I'm gonna def try that! Thanks:)

magnussmommy

Aug-19

No. Its a shared yard!

DW (GSDogwalker)

Aug-19

Hide thing he loves and can find by scent.  If he is t into toys, put smelly food into a container so he can smell it but not get to the food. First hid it in plain sight at nose level.  Once he gets the idea you can hide it in other places, above or below nose height, behind things.  Just don’t forget where you hid them in case he doesn’t find them.