German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Not for Terriers only   Controversies, Catastrophes and Teaky Moments (Enter at your own risk)

Started Aug-18 by Solitaire13; 137 views.
Solitaire13

Aug-18

"Imprinting is a learning process that occurs while being socialized that plays a significant role in how your puppy behaves as an adult. Imprinting involves early exposure to various experiences during sensitive developmental periods that significantly influence adult behavior. In particular, learned behaviors such as coming when called, staying nearby off-leash, housetraining and retrieving all appear to have windows of development that significantly impact these behaviors later in life. That is not to say that you can’t teach an older puppy or adult dog to retrieve or come when called if you didn’t give him those experiences when he was very young. But if you take advantage of the imprinting periods for these behaviors with your puppy, it will be much easier to teach your terrier these skills. This window of prime imprinting opportunity ends around sixteen weeks of age, so it is crucial to spend time with your young puppy providing many positive experiences such as taking off-leash walks, encouraging him to come to you and gently encouraging him to bring back objects by playing retrieve games on-leash with him."

Dawn Antoniak-Mitchell, Esq CPDT-KSA CBCC-KA

DW (GSDogwalker)

Aug-18

Why terriers?  So any dog obtained after 16 weeks has lost the best 8 weeks of their training lives?

Solitaire13

Aug-18

Well, it was in a book about terriers but I don't believe it applies to terriers only. I think imprinting is different than training.  I think imprinting has more of an influence on the dog by showing it was is normal  be it by exposure or by permitted / encouraged behavior.  But honestly,  I thought imprinting was something that occurred at an earlier age. I guess I thought wrong. I know that the major exposure / socialization window closes between 3 - 5 months, usually closing by 4 months.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Aug-18

I lost that window due to giardia and early pano.  What a shame.