German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Training a GSD, a Malinois and a Cattle Dog   Behavior and Training

Started 10/19/19 by DW (GSDogwalker); 318 views.
In reply toRe: msg 1
DW (GSDogwalker)

May-22

Deleted a spam post.

Solitaire13

May-23

You know, I rewatched this with a now more experienced eye for the breeds. If you really watch the drives of the dogs and the secondary obedience,  the breed typical breed traits really show.  Still a good and fun video. 

Did you notice the ACD kick into drive when the black GSD was jumping over the Mal? So typical for the breed, Dlila is just like that. It's so cool to see her turn on when a large animal is unruly. I have even seen the Mals mimic her when one of the GSDs are acting up. They will hog dog the unruly dog, genetics at its finest, all untrained. These dogs are tons of fun. 

And the crisp, secondary obedience of the Mal! DW, you would really love training one. Although their thresholds are much lower and they go from 0 to 60 in .25 seconds and the intensity is amazing, they also are very biddable and sensitive to their handler. You need to get a small female Mal. 

The GSD was the rock! Nice dog! His obedience was spot on but not as quick as the Mal but he has more size and weight. A bit calmer and more relaxed but he appeared to conserve energy rather than lack it. This makes for a dog that can go all day. Good boy!

DW (GSDogwalker)

May-23

We like what we like. I was riveted to the black dog.  His posture, mannerisms, his behavior was so much like mine, it’s as if I’m watching my own dog.  The little CD reminds DS me of K. Such a little wild thing.  

My trainer said no Mals.  I don’t want that intensity anymore.  I want calmer and gentler.  Maybe an Aussie.