German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Solitaire13

Oct-22

Ray Coppinger once said that LGDs lack the dissect portion of the prey sequence.  He theorized this because when there were stillborn lambs in the field, the LGDs refused to eat them when fed them. After the lambs were cut up, then the LGDs would eat.

I have a couple of theories myself although I do respect Coppinger.  I think that the workingline line LGDs who lived with the sheep, viewed the sheep as more than livestock,  maybe even identifying with the sheep. If this were the situation then the LGD would be exhibiting cannibalism if they ate the lambs and cannibalism is exceedingly rare in the animal kingdom. 

But let's look at the LGDs eating the lambs after they were cut up for them. I don't have all of the details but what are the chances of the LGDs refusing to eat the lambs fed to them for dinner,  this not being discovered for at least a day creating very hungry LGDs who then would eat the dissected lambs or face starving?

What do you know about this?  What do you think?

DW (GSDogwalker)

Oct-22

I think you are 100% right.  GSDS want someone to catch and cut their meat for them. They don’t cook.

Solitaire13

Oct-22

Lol. If only they all had you for a furmom!  ;)

DW (GSDogwalker)

Oct-22

I am not a fur mom.  They are not my fur babies.  Otherwise Yeah!