German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Dog trainer defends training method    Controversies, Catastrophes and Teaky Moments (Enter at your own risk)

Started Dec-5 by Solitaire13; 321 views.
Solitaire13

Dec-5

DW (GSDogwalker)

Dec-5

A bonker. Probably learned from JG.

Solitaire13

Dec-5

That is JG. Probably learned that from Gary Wilkes. I was aware of the method but never knew they hit the dog with that much force.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Dec-5

Ha, I watched it and of course, there he is.  My question is, Did it work? We also see the dog going after someone or another dog. Why is an aggressive, reactive dog being used as a service dogs.  While I don’t agree with his methods, I do agree that taken out of context, it looks back. In context, maybe it would make sense.

Marypickford

Dec-17

That was my question. I saw a movie about blind leading dogs, their breeding, and their training. If one of their trainees misbehaves continuously in a certain way, like pulling to a smell or aggression, they're disqualified and given to a less demanding home. Many of them became companion dogs to people who needed relatively well behaved animals. One overly impulsive dog became the pet of a vet with PTSD who enjoyed keeping his dog in check and exercising him. It made him feel good- so, now he has a lively dog that needs a lot of exercise to stay calm.

It could be something simple like the owner could not afford another ten thousand dollars for a new dog. What is a blind person to do in this case?

DW (GSDogwalker)

Dec-17

Yes it’s very expensive to train a service dog but it needs to be done the right way with a dog suited for it.

Marypickford

Dec-18

I'm saying the dog was already past its 'warrantee period', and the owner didn't want to get rid of it before trying extreme measures.

Its wrong to use negative conditioning on a dog in most cases. Especially in a dog that needs to be in charge of a blind man, and fully confident of its position as the guide.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Dec-18

The trainer in the video was a washed up lingerie salesman who decided he knew something about dogs.  His methods are always questionable.

Solitaire13

Dec-18

Speaking of qualifications,  I see one of his partners,  Sean O'Shea, just wrote a book. He used to be a valet in a parking lot before becoming a trainer. 

DW (GSDogwalker)

Dec-19

Valet and lingerie. Which one of those gives the best training skills?