POSTS TODAY

Discussions

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jan-3

https://www.petguide.com/breeds/dog/aussiedoodle/

OMG, this:

Kazell

Jan-3

They're cute as puppies and that's when they sell them. The ones I've seen are almost always pure Aussie parent that is Merle plus a doodle. 

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jan-3

I suppose we can get used to anything if we start with them as cute puppies. We grow to love our dogs for their personalities as much as how they look.

We put our trust in the AKC.  Have had only four dogs in 53 yrs of marriage.  Didn’t have the first one until 1979 when our sons were big enough that they could not be licked on the face/mouth against their wishes.  Got a wonderful GSD one yr old that the couple who had adopted him could not keep.  Had him thirteen years.  Next two were magnificent Rotties.  Both died of abdominal cancer tumors but made ten and a half and eleven and a half, not a bad life span for a Rottweiler. Two years ago we adopted our Romy, now three.  The day we picked her up she was instantly our dog and we were her family.  She is a purebred GSD found stray near Fresno and unclaimed.  Lucky us!  Yesterday my wife gave her a bath using Furminator conditioner and shampoo.  Amazing what happens when one actually reads and follows the directions.  Her coat is unlike it has ever been.  Shiny, smooth, and shedding has been essentially halted. Great products.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jan-15

You are either very good handlers or you lucked out with excellent dogs and good temperaments. Or a little of both.

We love ‘em like children, never forgetting that they are animals, not children.  Also very lucky four for four.

When one reaches a certain age, the lives of children and grandchildren go their own ways and it is natural for involvement with Grandma and Grandpa to lessen.  We are lucky in that respect as both sons, 52=and 49, live close and we see them regularly.  Nevertheless, our pet(s) become more central to one’s quality of life. Our dog is relatively a bigger part of out lives today than our kids were forty and more years ago.  Lucky us!

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jan-18

I see a lot of people who care more about their dogs than they do about other people.  Even when you have close family relationships the dogs are with you all the time and dependent on you. We get attached.

Marypickford

Jan-19

I didn't know the mixing thing was such a trend! I knew about Labradoodles, of course, and i can see th attraction- if properly bred you'd get an intelligent devoted dog that doesn't shed. Still, poodles are nervous animals, if intelligent, so how do you breed the nervousness out?

"My friend once had a standard poodle. He was intelligetn, big, and nervous. Then I found out more about standards. They were bred to hunt Their curly fur made it hard for a predator to catch hold of them.

Weird but true.

As for the rest, if I want a good tempered part shepherd, part lab, all I have to do is go to the shelter. If you get them at 12 months to 2 years, you have a young dog with known behavioral traits.. ie, loyal and stable- as for the rest, i don't work my animal- my dogs tend to be house dogs. My family had bassets twice. They're funny breeds. They have the mind of a stubborn four or five year old, but are very affectionate. At home they're lazy bastards, but given a field or mountain to climb, a dirt road to wander, they're intrepid sniffers ad investigators, panting in happiness all the way. Get them in a field and chase them, and you'll find those short legs very fast and capable, even for their size(Over 50 pounds at times, even in good shape) They love it!