German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Not another designer breed   Controversies, Catastrophes and Teaky Moments (Enter at your own risk)

Started 12/23/19 by DW (GSDogwalker); 1092 views.
Kazell

1/1/20

Anything and everything is a designer dog breed now. I've seen german shepherd/poodle crosses, anything mixed with poodle. Any two dog breeds bred together and any doodle crossed together are called double doodles. It's a huge booming market resulting in a huge surplus of dogs likely to be abandoned. So many people having litters of puppies here end up with 2-3 at several months old they can barely sell and still want $500+ for them even if they're just straight mutts. When I was looking for a puppy somebody had  shepherd/aussie puppies. They wanted $500 for them I said nevermind. Then several weeks later guess what? They had several puppies they were still attempting to sell. The person I got Luka from has been breeding labs for  oh I don't know 15 years or so and they've never had trouble selling them. This year they still had 4 puppies at 5 months. It's a huge issue right now but getting people to use their brains and actually care is a losing battle.

In reply toRe: msg 2
DW (GSDogwalker)

1/1/20

I hate intentional mutt breedings. It’s so arrogant to think they can create a better breed than two other proven breeds.  Doodles tend to look easy but they are very active and need a lot of attention.  They may or may not resemble temperaments of their parent breeds.  I saw a Bernadoodle and the owner was very excited at buying a new breed.  A new mutt.

Kazell

1/2/20

I'd say it's not really arrogance about thinking they can do better but rather greed pure and simple. People have realized they can make money doing so and as such it's become trendy. People selling doodle mixes for $800+ with no health testing or anything they're just making money pure and simple. I saw st. Bernoodle crosses $1000 non drooling and no shedding! I agree you have no clue what you're going to get but people are falling for it left right and sideways. 

I do think without this stupid gimmick going around there could've been some good potential new breeds. Pomskies if actually developed as a breed could help fill a niche for more easily handled but pretty dogs hopefully saving a few huskies and Aussies/other Merle breeds from becoming pets to unsuitable homes kind of like with mini Aussies. Which some of those no matter the claims of being purebred are definitely crossed with chihuahua at the least or were at some point.

In reply toRe: msg 4
DW (GSDogwalker)

1/2/20

It’s a bad idea unless they can actually create a very good breed for owners. GSDS were one created from mixing breeds.  But it was done to relate a better dog, not just because they can.  I was so turned off by the original Doodles,I just can’t stand them.  Two local people I knew got the, and they were crazy over the top wild and uncontrollable.  They got them because they were gentle and supposedly non allergenic.  The dogs did settle in by age 3-4 but the owners were non dog people.  They knew nothing about training or handling. For any of us, they might have been easy dogs.  For a novice, no.

Kazell

1/2/20

I agree with that, that's why I said if actually developed as a breed, not just mixed up and thrown around. The doodle craze I hate with a passion and I agree many people do end up struggling with them.  A lot aren't aware of how intensive/expensive the grooming requirements are either. They hear no shedding and no allergies (roll of the dice) and think of what a perfect dog. They don't realize they need regular coat maintenance. Aussiedoodles are a thing in my area now because they could make merle dogs which will sell for more. That I imagine is just a trainwreck waiting to happen.

Also one of the breeders of GSDs I personally dislike in my area got malinois and has started breeding them to her shepherds. One guy thought he had a purebred dog called it a belgian shepherd that he was rehoming. I've seen 3-4 of the puppies in her first litter rehomed already. For some reason I've seen at least 2 possibly 3 different belgian malinois/plott hound mix litters. Some of those pups have been rehomed/ended up in the shelter already, can't imagine those crosses will go well cause I can't imagine responsible owners of those two breeds wanting a mix of the two and as far as I can tell they went to average joe pet homes as evidenced by all the rehoming.

The mixing and selling dogs just really has gotten out of control in the past 3 years in my area. I actually hope the facebook banning of pet sales puts a dent in it. Think facebook just made it too easy.

In reply toRe: msg 6
DW (GSDogwalker)

1/2/20

There aren’t as many pet sales here because adopting is a big deal. Of course, 90% of the dogs are pits or out mixes so people who want to adopt a purebred or a good mixed breed have to look somewhere else.

Those Mal crosses were bred sloppily. They can be very good dogs if care goes into selecting the parents.  

I wonder what happens if they breed two Merle crosses. Do they get the recessive problem they do with two Merle Aussies?

Kazell

1/2/20

Yes double merle can cause issues regardless of breed as it's the same gene. You can breed two merles of a different breed and still have the chance of double merles. 

Kazell

1/2/20

It's also not a recessive problem. Merle is dominant and it's the dogs who get two copies who usually get issues such as deafness and eye problems. 

DW (GSDogwalker)

1/3/20

I looked up Merle Doodles and they don’t even look pretty.  The one I saw looked scruffy.

Solitaire13

1/3/20

Maybe that's their charm.