German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

tail   Behavior and Training

Started Dec-25 by dreamkiss40; 271 views.
dreamkiss40

Dec-25

Hi everyone, my name is Debbie and I have a 7 month old german sheherd black and silver. Here recently she is grabbing her tail and going in circles but only for a short time. Should I be concern with this behavior? Ive never dealt with this before.  Thank you.      debbie

Showtalk
Host

Dec-26

Can you repost with a picture?  I don’t see one.

dreamkiss40

Dec-26

I'm trying to post pics of Trixie, I'm not doing a very good job

Showtalk
Host

Dec-26

You should see a picture in a square in the toolbar.  Click on that and it allows you to embed a photo.

dreamkiss40

Dec-26

I hope I posted right. If the pic came through. It is Trixie. At times she would grab her tail and go in circles for a short time but not often. I'm just wondering if it's something I need to worry about. Debbie

Showtalk
Host

Dec-26

I see the picture now.  I thought you had one showing her  biting her tail.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Dec-26

Is she biting at her tail or at her rear end?  Is anything bothering her there? Fleas?  Does she let you touch her around or under her tail?  It would be due to pain or itching.  Sometimes the anal glands need to be expressed.  If she is just bored, then the best choice is to ignore it and distract her with something else.  I had a dog that used to spin and it was very difficult to deal with.

dreamkiss40

Dec-26

She grabs the middle part of tail. I think she gets bored.

Solitaire13

Dec-26

I would not worry if it happens once in awhile but it is nothing to be encouraged.  You might want to try upping her exercise a little bit.