German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Really? This dog is the victim?   Controversies, Catastrophes and Teaky Moments (Enter at your own risk)

Started Jan-4 by Solitaire13; 320 views.
Solitaire13

Jan-4

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jan-4

I don’t understand the controversy. My content blocker won’t play the video.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jan-4

Never mind, I saw it. I am not sure why she threw a pillow but all she did was pull the dog by the collar and then wrestle it. I didn’t see violence and the dog was wagging his tail the whole time. She may have been upset but he won and was perfectly content with the game. I would not handle a dog that way but it was not violent.  If they had better recall the dog would have come when she called him.

Kazell

Jan-4

I'm thinking from first impression it could be an untrained brat of a dog and the guy is unhelpful with training or anything. Looks like he's trying to bite at her when she has him by the scruff. Maybe just trying to get him out of the kitchen or outside/into a kennel. I agree better training and they'd have no issues. I don't like how it looked like she was going to try to beat him with the pillow because that was a lot of force behind that but wouldn't be surprised if they've had a lot of naughty dog issues with him. 

Solitaire13

Jan-4

Really? I saw a lot more aggression there than what I would tolerate. 

A dog wagging its tail is only indicative of arousal. 

I get the impression that the dog probably went in the kitchen and hiked its leg or swallowed the pot roast on the counter. I can't fault her for throwing a pillow at him. Did you ever see Gary Wilkes and his bonkers? I just posted something not long ago about Gellman using that method and he used far more force. 

In reply toRe: msg 4
DW (GSDogwalker)

Jan-4

I would like more of the story.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jan-4

That is what I meant. The dog won. She never did actually get him to behave.  She was not that violent. The dog may have been.  I couldn’t tell on that tiny screen.

Kazell

Jan-5

She didn't throw the pillow at him though. She swung it and was going to hit him with it but looks like he ducked under a table or something. 

I do agree though he shows a lot of aggression towards her with the scruffing and he won that battle. Can't tell if she was trying to alpha roll him or just trying to get a better handle on him when he's going after her hand. 

In reply toRe: msg 8
DW (GSDogwalker)

Jan-5

She didn’t know what she was doing.  It was kind of stupid to do that on camera.

Marypickford

Jan-19

It looks like she was trying to get him to go somewhere physically by the collar, but he took it as a game and gave a few playful mouth shakes. I also saw a play bow at the end before she gave up, so the dog must have thought the whole thing was a fun dominance game that he won conclusively. Just like when I try to bring my dog down with body weight and arms- often to lose terribly- especially with the palestinian hound. That mid sized dog wouldn't let anyone do a neck restraint hold in play. She just hated being on her back, unlike the basset, who loved to be pushed down and belly rubbed. The hound was more of a "Catch me if you can" kind of dog, and loved it!.She also loved sitting by you and being petted. She owned us and we loved it. Didn't have a mean or aggressive bone in her body. Came when called, except when she took a mind to not obeying, but it wasn't often. Ok. I never did train my dogs completely. I'm more of a sit by dog and pet them kind of owner.