Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Solitaire13

Jan-12

By Raymond Coppinger 

It seems the two biggest camps of those that study dogs are ethologists and behaviorists.  Coppinger and Lorenz fall in the former, Pavlov and Skinner, the latter.

I read this book. It's a little dry in the beginning, but I found it to be highly interesting after the first couple of chapters.

Two things that stand out is the emphasis placed on morphology which changes with habitat or other factors and motor patterns such as the instinct to nurse or the predatory motor pattern, things that dogs simply just do without being taught. 

I found it interesting that if a puppy is not permitted to nurse within a day or two, it will permanently loose the suckling ability.  But on the other hand, as the puppy grows, and its muzzle elongates, with that change of morphology,  the puppy once again loses its ability to suckle. 

As I come to grasp these concepts,  the more and more I see them pop out at me through various other research and their application to the role nurture plays on these motor patterns.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jan-12

They studied unleashed and unowned wild dogs, maybe even semi feral, so they were able to get as close as possible to what a dog is without being formed and molded by people. 

Interesting observation about suckling. My mom got two puppies 7-8 weeks old and immediately gave them a large rodent cage bottle that drips water upside down from an attachment inside their crate. They learned to continue suckling and eventually drinking from the bottle.  I let my each dogs try it at different times when they were older puppies and they could not drink from it. She had a smaller breed with a shorter nose but I also think they learned very young.

Solitaire13

Jan-12

Actually Coppinger did a lot of his work on farm dogs. 

I put a rabbit waterer in a crate for a puppy one time and she would lick lick lick. I was afraid she would dehydrate getting her water a couple of drops at a time so that didn't last long.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jan-12

They don’t get much from a drip bottle but it keeps them busy.