German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Calling all genetics nerds   Controversies, Catastrophes and Teaky Moments (Enter at your own risk)

Started Jan-13 by Solitaire13; 134 views.
Solitaire13

Jan-13

Kazell

Jan-13

That is a super interesting article. All I've been hearing about is the LUA gene which is a step in the right direction for the breed but I hadn't realized how much of an issue the breed had due to the excess white. 

I wonder if they could breed to tend towards a more heavily black spotted coat and if that would help at all? Too bad they aren't like zebras. I wonder if there's anyway besides a spontaneous mutation to make black skinned dalmations.

As a funny thing one of the article talking about neotenous traits mentioned piebald as a neotenous trait although I doubt I could find it again. 

Another side note Temple Grandin is coming to my town and college next month, that'll be an interesting presentation I'm sure. 

In reply toRe: msg 2
Solitaire13

Jan-13

I hope you get to hear her speak. Especially,  I hope she speaks about the killer roosters, a fascinating study in genetics that blindsided farmers into thinking that roosters killing breeding mates was normal behavior. 

Kazell

Jan-13

I'll definitely be going. She'll have one short hour presentation on catte stockmanship on campus when I don't have any classes and then a different one on animal behavior for the general public later that evening.  

The rooster thing is interesting, I know that's a problem in ducks but haven't heard about the study in roosters. 

In reply toRe: msg 4
Solitaire13

Jan-13

Not sure if a specific study was done or if it was a hands on breeding observation.  I did not know it existed in ducks.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jan-13

What is wrong with breeding for more black and adding some outcrosses to clear up their problems?

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jan-13