German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Ivan Balabanov    Behavior and Training

Started 2/7/20 by Solitaire13; 1456 views.
Solitaire13

2/8/20

I think I am going to make a running thread on these worthwhile tidbits to keep them in one place especially since I am operating off of my phone.

DW (GSDogwalker)

2/9/20

Yet people recommend him. That tells me dog owners and trainers aren’t always consistent.

DW (GSDogwalker)

2/9/20

If you have other dogs to play with.  I find a lot of pet dogs are trained terribly and don’t play well with others.

Solitaire13

2/9/20

They say use Michael Ellis methods until you are ready for the serious stuff.

DW (GSDogwalker)

2/9/20

My dogs are very tuned in with me and are very relaxed. I have to assume I’m doing something right.  I don’t even know what it means to micromanage a dog.  Not let them play?  Mine have a lot of consistency in their lives.

DW (GSDogwalker)

2/9/20

I don’t treat train except when I do.  I treat train puppies because they are so responsive to it. Then I stop.  When mine are having too much fun to stop playing I might pull out a few reward treats.  Otherwise, I barely use them.  If a dog is too dependent on treats and you don’t have any, then what?  

DW (GSDogwalker)

2/9/20

OK, but we need to get you back 100%!

Solitaire13

2/9/20

A lot of pet owners are told by "experts" to let dogs work things out. That doesn't float around here. Most people correct bad or rough behavior. 

Then you have those "experts" that recommend that you should be everything to your dogs. That's quite a life sentence.

I take my dogs to dog parks, play dates, and off leash trails so they meet and interact with a lot of dogs.

Solitaire13

2/9/20

Micromanaging is monitoring and controlling everything they do.

DW (GSDogwalker)

2/9/20

Do you correct rough play and bad behavior?