MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Evaluating a puppy for police or protection   Behavior and Training

Started Mar-26 by Showtalk; 452 views.
Showtalk
Host

Mar-26

How is this done? What do they look for? What tests do they use?

Kazell

Mar-26

Here’s a series I found a few years ago

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DO3ANl22kdg

I’d recommend watching the first two to see the difference between the two puppies. 

• Edited March 26, 2020 8:14 pm  by  Kazell
In reply toRe: msg 2
MerlinsDad

Mar-26

I saw Part 1.

Very interesting.  That's a tenacious little puppy, which is what I'm sure they want.  Very alert, very engaged in the activities.

I'm getting ready to watch Part 2

I see the difference.    That's a sweet little puppy. 

Thanks for posting the links.

Kazell

Mar-26

PT 2 shows a great example of a puppy failing, and then another puppy passing.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CFglPaIxTJ4

In reply toRe: msg 2
Showtalk
Host

Mar-26

Thank you. MerlinsDad asked me on another forum how police dogs are evaluated and I had some ideas, but wasn’t sure.

In reply toRe: msg 4
MerlinsDad

Mar-26

I noted above that I had watched both videos and that the differences were obvious even to an untrained eye.  I commented that the puppy who failed was a sweet puppy.  The first video was a very clear example of the traits they're looking for.

Thanks for the links.

In reply toRe: msg 4
DW (GSDogwalker)

Mar-26

British police.  Ours might be a little different but the basics are the same. I found this older puppy, totally green with good drive and instincts.  A farm dog they are turning into a K9.

Evaluating Potential Police Dogs - Testing Drives, Traits and Environmental Stability

Evaluation video of some future working dogs we are evaluating for police work. Some of the things we do (not all) to see if a dog is ready to test for polic...

DW (GSDogwalker)

Mar-26

See my post. Is that a Mal? Reminds me of your Mals.  How do you select your dogs?  Do you have someone test like that?

DW (GSDogwalker)

Mar-26

German Shepherd aren’t supposed to be sweet, although they can be.  That cute little scared dog is going to a pet home.

MerlinsDad

Mar-26

And he'll be a good pet for someone with the size to scare anyone who tries to intrude.

The difference was obvious.