German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Solitaire13

Jun-26

Have you heard of him? I first heard of him being referred to on a German Shepherd forum. Of course I decided to explore. I like to learn from different trainers.

Well, turns out he is a game bred Pit Bull person. 

Okay, I am listening.  I first sat and listened to him being interviewed by Chad Mackin. It was a lengthy interview and two things really stood out to me. One was at one point, he referred to his breed as Murder Dogs. I wish Chad had questioned his choice of words. The second thing that stood out was that he believed that dog aggression is essentially rooted in a dog that does not know how to read dog body language and signals. Well, we all know, and we should if we don't,  that there can be many causes for dog aggression but you simply aren't going to get around the fact that genetic dog aggression does exist. Genetic dog aggression, as defined by geneticists is dog aggression that will express under every environment. 

What further complicates things is he has spent time with Ivan Balabanov. Ivan is the owner and breeder of OT Vitosha, an FCI working judge, and a two time podium winner. Michael Ellis was a student of Ivan. My point is that Ivan runs his dogs with e collars on some of them so they won't fight. BUT Jay Jack claims that dogs fight because they don't know dog body language and that this is fixable. Is he claiming to know more and be a better trainer than Ivan? Why doesn't Ivan just teach his dogs body language? After all, he is one of the world's leading trainers. I guess in some respects he is right IF you have a dog that struggles with body language but what about genetic dog aggression? In other words, he deceives people with his ignorance and not only gives them false hope, but sets them up for dangerous situations. 

BUT, I still kept an open mind and went to his blog and read an entry on dog aggression. He really is ignorant in that arena but yet he is being recommended on a GSD forum, despite not being familiar with the breed, to a member with dog aggression problems!!!

However, all this is not what prompted me to make this post. Still trying to keep an open mind, I went to his Facebook page to look around and found this offensive post. What "reputable" dog trainer posts such garbage? Read it to the end. 

Kazell

Jun-26

I know there is an issue with dogs not being able to read body language. And specifically some pits/bully breeds having a different style of play and body language than other dogs. My friends dog as a puppy didn’t know how to play like most other breeds (freeze and check in etc. to make sure we’re still just playing) at first, but since she was around so many other dogs she did learn very good social skills and will not start a fight. She has even been attacked and not attacked back.

I agree though there is a huge component of genetic dog aggression in many or most pits who are dog aggressive. Some is manageable under strict and excellent owners, other types is not and either one in the hands of the average joe or those more clueless than even the average guy is a disaster. Not to mention the people intentionally blind about their dog’s behavior. There are also a few dogs who are fine for 99% of the time, but that 1% of the time their fight/prey drive is triggered they can be extremely dangerous. 

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jun-27

That is weird. I have never heard of him before and I’m not interested in following him.

Solitaire13

Jun-27

I have a hard time believing that someone as "popular" as he appears to be, as a dog trainer, would express public dislike of Toy breed dogs. It makes me wonder if he is displacing his discomfort with the number of Toy breed dogs maimed and killed by Pits with a sublimal bashing of the little dogs. After all, it is easier to blame the victim rather than your less than perfect dangerous breed.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jun-27

I don’t like toy breeds or pits.

Solitaire13

Jun-27

I have only owned one small breed mix and I had to rehome him as he kept attacking my German Shepherds. 

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jun-27

I’ve never owned one, ever!  My smallest was a herding dog.

Kazell

Jun-27

Have you ever met any well bred and/or well trained small breed dogs? A lot of the ones I’ve met are babied and untrained. Among some other issues. But I’ve also met some great well trained/raised ones. My grandpa used to raise yorkies so I was around some amazing yorkies when I was younger, only one left now but he’s a good pup. We had a chihuahua/Pekingese we got from a family friend, he was a spoiled brat with her but shaped up into an good dog after we worked with him a bit and actually treated him like a dog. 

If it wasn’t for teeth problems there are a couple of small breeds I’d be interested in, some of them are incredibly trainable and extremely intelligent. The chi/peke mix was probably the most intelligent dog I’ve ever personally met. 

In reply toRe: msg 8
DW (GSDogwalker)

Jun-27

Not one. They have all been aggressive and yappy.  A Jack Russell was cute but still barked at my dogs all the time. Another little dog, I think a Cairn, was not too bad but still got into a fight with my female. Mostly little snips and growls.  She growled back.

Solitaire13

Jun-27

I like Poms.  I would also consider a Schipperke.