MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

GSD diarrhea   Health, Nutrition and Exercise

Started Jul-7 by CharlieEMC; 95 views.
CharlieEMC

Jul-7

Hello:

My 17 week old GSD has been on a raw chicken leg & thigh, yogurt, viscera & liquefied broccoli/spinach diet since he arrived at 7 weeks old.  he has done well on this diet until yesterday when he started with a pea green watery diarrhea.  He had it once yesterday & again today (after we gave him his first soap & water bath).  The discharge also contains a few pieces of undigested chicken bones.  

I don't know the cause of the problem because several things have happened to him for the first time in just the last few days:

1. Fourth of July fireworks - he did not freak out but he was definitely paying lots of attention to what he was hearing

2. Gave him whole chicken leg to eat  - usually I cut the legs into bite size pieces, w/bones but I read that it was good for them to chew the bones

3. He just got his very firs bath & he was not happy with the garden hose spray (not in the face) against his body.  But he calmed down towards the end

The discharge was watery & pea green in color.  Yesterday after his first incident we skipped the veggie portion of the meal & unless we are advised otherwise we have decided to skip his mid day feeding today. 

Anyone that has any similar experience please advise

Finally, is the natural raw meat diet worth the trouble?  I'm beginning to be a bit discouraged with it. 

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jul-7

I tried raw and my dogs couldn’t handle it so I switched them to something else.  If it doesn’t go away soon, call the vet.  You don’t want him to get dehydrated. Anything can cause it. Stress, nervous eating of junk in the yard, but most likely a sudden change in diet.  You can give pumpkin and white rice, and later some boiled cooked chicken breast which should firm his stools.  Or you can call the vet and get an anti diarrheal either from them or OTC if they prescribe it.  You can also try a probiotic like FortiFlora which your vet should carry. If he acts sick and there is a chance he ate something dangerous go right to the vet. I tend to call the vet first and ask if I can treat at home. They usually say yes and give advice.

CharlieEMC

Jul-7

Thank you.

He's acting fine & playful.  I did not give him a mid day feeding & has not had another bowel movement since this morning so I don't know if he still in the same condition.  I don't believe the volume of diarrhea was large enough to dehydrate him & he drinks a lot of water all the time on his own.   

There have been incidents in the past few days that could have stressed him.  Perhaps one or a combination of all three may have caused the problem. 

I'm planning on feeding him later today (without vegetables) & observe him before we go to bed tonight. If his stool continues to be the same I'll call the Vet.   

We are now doubtful if all the extra effort & expense of the raw diet is actually worth it.  He was doing quite well & he looks good, shiny coat & in good weight but if commercial foods are equally good we're just wasting our time & money. 

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jul-7

He may not tolerate raw, but also you can’t just switch food either.  if it was serious, he would have it continuously but watch it and if it doesn’t go away, get him to the vet. Make sure he drinks plenty of water.  If he gets lethargic or seems ill, rush him to the vet. 

CharlieEMC

Jul-11

Thank you & sorry I haven't responded sooner.  My pup is doing fine & the problem went away by the next day.  I am almost totally convinced that the indigestion was caused by stress during the fourth of July because of all the fireworks in our neighborhood.   He didn't seem all that disturbed while it was going on outwardly but it must have had an effect on his nerves & digestion.

However we're still not 100% sure that the raw diet is worth the effort.  He likes his food & he is developing very well, nice shiny coat & plenty of energy but a lot of people seem to get the same results with good quality dog food so we're in a dilemma. 

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jul-11

You should feed him what makes the most sense to you. My concern  with a raw diet is getting the right nutrients.