German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Solitaire13

Jul-10

Did not know that he does not use prongs. Did not know that he doesn’t believe in rehabilitation as an end product but as a lifetime process. I did know that he believes in the genetics of behavior. 

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jul-10

He uses a collar his ex wife designed that looks like a torture device.  He isn’t all bad, but people built their careers on trashing him.  He loves pits, though.

Solitaire13

Jul-10

I never really watched him but someone recommended reading one of his books. It is actually pretty good.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jul-10

I should see if there is an ebook.

Kazell

Jul-10

I used to watch him, you could tell there was a lot of off camera stuff that happened particularly with the slip leads/choke chains. He was pretty harsh on dogs with those, don’t see how that is any better than a prong. Will have to look up the collar his ex-wife made 

In reply toRe: msg 5
DW (GSDogwalker)

Jul-11

It’s called the Illusion collar.  He can’t possibly show a full training series with a dog in thirty minutes, so he edits a lot out.  He started out as a decent trainer, but as he became famous he began getting calls for dogs most people would consider impossible.  He did better with normal training problems most inexperienced people might have.  

Solitaire13

Jul-11

Yes, there is an e book. That is almost all I buy nowadays.  I only buy older books that aren't and probably never will be available as an ebook.

Solitaire13

Jul-11

I think he got harsh with dogs when screentime mandated it. I remember seeing him bump a dog with his foot with enough energy to get the dog's attention and people were moaning that he kicked a dog. 

In reply toRe: msg 8
Solitaire13

Jul-11

"Train off-leash with lures and rewards from the outset. Never use a leash or touch your dog to force him to comply. Otherwise, your dog will respond only when on-leash or within hand’s reach. Instead, use your hands to pet (reward) your dog once he or she complies."

Ian Dunbar

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jul-11

People who don’t understand dogs or training.