German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

On researching bloodlines   Controversies, Catastrophes and Teaky Moments (Enter at your own risk)

Started Jul-27 by Solitaire13; 160 views.
Solitaire13

Jul-27

When buying a puppy, just how much faith do you put in what a breeder tells you?

If the breeder uses one good stud from X bloodlines with good results,  should we assume that the stud is representative of X bloodline?

How much can a novice really learn from going to clubs and watching dogs? If they are a novice, how do they know what they are seeing? Should a novice's interpretation be trusted? 

What if many of the dogs in a club have ties to a training director? Can one expect honest answers to one's questions?

Who would you trust more? An experienced breeder with a reputation to protect that's a part of the in crowd or semi novices that own, train and live with the dogs?

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jul-27

1. Too much

2. I have no idea

3. Not really but they can learn by participating.

4. it depends if the person is smart and honest

5. maybe both, maybe neither.

What are your answers?

Solitaire13

Jul-27

1) I don't put too much stock in what an unknown breeder tells me. They have nothing to lose by being dishonest.

2) i would not hold one dog as an example of what a breeder is producing. 

3) I am sure a novice can learn from attending training but I think chances are reduced without a trusted mentor. Things can be very complex.

4) I think the more members with dogs associated with the TD will, as a rule, be less knowledgeable due to a lack of exposure to variety as well as mentor bias.

5) i agree that both can bring something to the table but both have their pitfalls. 

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jul-27

Mentor bias isn’t always bad.  If my mentor was Stonnie I would be a brilliant trainer.

Solitaire13

Jul-28

Well, nothing is simple here. Mentor bias can mean 1) a familiarity of a specific line based on one kennel's dogs or 2) a biased based on one person's tastes in dogs. Of course it can mean so much more but those are two examples of defining mentor bias that may not work favorably for a newbie.  

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jul-28

Yes, good description.