German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Solitaire13

Sep-14

Robert Cabral is the next trainer we are looking at in our series on dog trainers and their philosophies on training.  Here is what he has to say:

"I believe that all training should be fair to the dog. Since the dog has an unfair disadvantage in that we are trying to teach him our system, we must strive to make learning easy and fun for him. Giving a dog only two directions to move toward makes the path much clearer than a complex expectation. Remember, your dog doesn’t know what you want if you don’t teach him. Don’t expect your dog to be a mind reader. Whether you are approaching the training of your first dog or you have had dogs your entire life, try using the binary system and see how fair training can be for both you and your dog."

Note: The binary system is your essential language of agreement and disagreement,  yes and no.

In reply toRe: msg 1
Solitaire13

Sep-14

"I find it is highly unfair that trainers, and people in general, begin training a dog that has no idea of who we are and what we want. It’s like a stranger walking up to you and asking you to carry his groceries, and when you don’t comply he gets upset with you and yells at you and hits you. Dogs need to understand what we expect of them and this can easily be set up through a small amount of work in building a relationship with them. This can take anywhere from a few short minutes giving the dog treats to a long time in teaching the dog that we mean him no harm. It will depend on the individual dog and we should watch for the dog’s signals that he is relating to us and is open to training. The signs I look for are willingness to engage, seeking to interact, actually interacting, and offering behaviors such as sit and down." 

Robert Cabral 

This was a topic recently regarding a popular trainer in VA who is starting to branch out and franchise. He posted a video of him working with a soft and timid Labrador that was sent to him for a Board and Train.  His first effort was to try to get the Lab to accept food from him or his wife or child. The Lab was too stressed to accept food. 

So without any kind of a working relationship with this Lab as described by Cabral, and either too impatient or too short of time, the trainer whipped out his trusty e-collar and started working on leash pressure. He initially used sound without progress. Impatient,  he began to use vibration mode with the same results. That was the catalyst that pushed him over the edge to start using the shock feature but not as a low stim vector of negative reinforcement but as positive punishment. Dog trainers were howling as the litte Lab, that had already been shut down throughout the training session, yelped and attacked the leash to avoid the punishment and yes,  this all transpired in one session 

In reply toRe: msg 2
Solitaire13

Sep-14

Note: Our friendly forum B&T dog trainer, K9, offered his experience whem customers drop off a dog for a board and train, and I assume it probably applies to leaving a dog at a vet.  He said that he found that a dog relaxed and offered engagement sooner when he was handed the leash and walked the dog away to the kennel area himself vs the owner walking the dog to the kennel area with him. 

DW (GSDogwalker)

Sep-14

I stickied this. K9 should be the one franchising. He is awesome.  That is a clever observation.  

Solitaire13

Sep-14

I thought it was. You should stickie all of these. There is something to learn from every trainer. 

Everyone also has their own experiences, such as the one by K9, which is certainly very helpful as most of us will have to leave our dogs at a vet or boarding at some point in time.  It might be harder on us but if it makes it easier on our dogs....

DW (GSDogwalker)

Sep-14

You started a new thread so I had to sticky the new one.  Each thread requires its own sticky.