German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Energy-Obedient Over Behavior-Obedient   Controversies, Catastrophes and Teaky Moments (Enter at your own risk)

Started Sep-20 by Solitaire13; 230 views.
Solitaire13

Sep-20

Building drive or training in drive for a dog that is to solely function as a companion and family pet isn't always such a good idea. 

Managing energy level is key to managing behavior. Your dog may be performing as commanded but may be a hair trigger away from chasing the cat, stealing your dinner, ready to explosively enter your personal space or be dog reactive. We trade away calm for obedience simply because "nobody told us" or most trainers put a bandaid on it by using aversives while others still advocate for building drive or training in drive even though it may be detrimental to a dog's purpose. There is a difference between sitting as in “excited obedience” vs “calm obedience".

K9 was the first trainer to bring this topic up when we were discussing some issues I was having with Rubie and Ottoe. I changed my game and have made a lot of progress with the dogs.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Sep-20

What did you do differently with Ruby and my Ottoe?  My trainer likes us to work in drive, which was a problem for me. Most dogs in the group class were so lethargic, any drive the owners could muster up got them moving. Mine needed to be brought down a few notches.  My techniques were different from the rest of the class.  I worked on focus and building a connection while they were amping theirs up.

Solitaire13

Sep-20

A lot of it was a waiting game, physical blocking, or physical restraint. It was a lot of body language and direction. 

DW (GSDogwalker)

Sep-20

What were they doing that you didn’t like? What about Agent?

Solitaire13

Sep-20

They were acting out, being wild and being weird, being extremely vocal. I had to suspend play privileges between them. Ottoe broke my screen door. I would let him out and he wouldn't want out. He would hang on my screen door like a monkey and making it go bang bang bang! He wouldn't do his business.  He would come in and I would crate him and he would do his business in his crate. Rubie would run out the door S C R E A M I N G. She would run around the yard screaming.  I would bring her in and put her in her crate and she would do her business in her crate.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Sep-20

Teen years. What worked to change their behaviors?

Solitaire13

Sep-20

Time, physical restraint, Premack, bark collars...

Solitaire13

Sep-20

Premack is using an activity of high value as an reward for the performance of a low value activity. 

It's like making a dog sit quietly and look you in the eyes for a minute before releasing him to sniff a bush.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Sep-20

I do that.  Your dogs egged each other on to misbehave.