German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Solitaire13

Sep-20

"Overly confident dogs often decide on their own or with little regard for your wishes."

You often hear that a dog should look to its owner for guidance and protection, that the owner should be making decisions. How would you advise an owner to train an overly confident dog to look to them? Is it possible?

DW (GSDogwalker)

Sep-20

I was looking over training notes from one private sessions. He said the most important thing we can do is encourage confidence. Then when training give the dog one option and let him choose that one option. Reward each time.  The dog has a success and we bond with the dog.

selzer

Sep-24

Dogs will naturally follow humans, even alpha dogs -- really confident dogs will naturally follow the human's lead.  That is, unless the human is crazy or lacks confidence.  Training a confident dog to look to you, just means being a great leader -- calm, confident, fair, rewarding/correcting the dog for behaviors that have been trained.  Good timing.  Consistency.  Patience.  Never fighting with the dog or losing your temper.  Expecting to be obeyed, and praising the dog for obeying.   Realistic expectations and removing the dog from situations before the dog has had enough.  Beginning and ending play or training sessions.   

In reply toRe: msg 3
DW (GSDogwalker)

Sep-24

It’s easier to train a dog well when one person has does the dog. I’ve noticed differences in how family members work with my dogs, and it results in confusion. Leerburg allows only one handler per dog.

selzer

Sep-25

Being single and living alone may have its benefits.  

In reply toRe: msg 5
DW (GSDogwalker)

Sep-25

For dog training, it has benefits.

selzer

Sep-26

For paying for dogs and house and car and clothes and groceries and propane and electricity, grooming, and training classes, it kind of sucks though.  

In reply toRe: msg 7
DW (GSDogwalker)

Sep-26

Yes, it does, but you have very well behaved dogs.