German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

On fearful dogs...   Controversies, Catastrophes and Teaky Moments (Enter at your own risk)

Started Sep-26 by Solitaire13; 185 views.
Solitaire13

Sep-26

"If there is another resident dog who is less reactive, the fearful dog will absorb the behavior of the “leader dog” before depending on a human guide. Dogs do learn from observing others they trust—peer dogs first, then people."

Susan Weber

Behaviorist specializing in rehabilitating fearful dogs.

In reply toRe: msg 1
Solitaire13

Sep-26

"Dogs have the ability to learn by observation, and a steady, reliable pet mentor can greatly aid your efforts."

Susan Weber

DW (GSDogwalker)

Sep-27

That is true, but what if you don’t have a dog like that to mentor your puppies?

Solitaire13

Sep-27

I never knew that a dog would prioritize a dog over a human. 

Kazell

Sep-27

I did a lot of independent greetings and such with Luka unless Codi knew the people in order to stop him from picking up on her fear. She's great for helping to train recall and such but not so much for being social with people.

In reply toRe: msg 5
DW (GSDogwalker)

Sep-27

My social dog is fearful in some situations.

Kazell

Sep-28

Codi is solid environmentally but people can set her off. She’s gotten better with me working on it but it’s still there. She went from being a social puppy to going through heat and having fear responses and nothing happened in that time frame. When it first started she’d react at light pressure like a person approaching now she’ll just watch unless people actively engage with her. Children terrify her except for one younger cousin which is sad because she was beyond amazing with kids before that. But maturity brought changes.

In reply toRe: msg 7
DW (GSDogwalker)

Sep-29

My dogs bark at strangers but only at home.  My female is a little afraid of strangers, my male wants to greet them.  I may or may not let him.