Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

7 month old Male GSD wants nothing to do with me.    Behavior and Training

Started Oct-6 by ArkansasAC; 252 views.
ArkansasAC

Oct-6

First of all, hello to all, and thank you in advance to everyone who reads my message. 
I am a first time GSD owner, but not a first time dog owner. I have always considered myself excellent with dogs, and have had 4 in my life from 13 years old till now. I’ve always wanted a German Shepherd, but wasn’t ever able to attain one until recently, in April of 2020. 

First off, I took home Jax at the age of 6 weeks. Due to the situation, and how far I lived from the breeder, this was the only time I would be able to pick him up...otherwise I wouldn’t have been able to get him. With that being said, let’s fast forward to the present moment. Keep in mind the symptoms I am going to list have been prevalent, and extremely consistent from the time I got him home. 
It almost seems like my dog hates me. He is a playful dog, as would play 100% of the time if I was up for that. But..he lacks any form of affection towards me. He won’t lay beside me after playing, he doesn’t cuddle up anytime, ever. If we aren’t playing ball, and tug of war, he wants absolutely nothing to do with me. It is just me and him in the home. He doesn’t sleep with me, he doesn’t even sleep in the same room with me. This isn’t something he was trained to do. In fact, initially I wanted him to sleep with me. He started jumping off the bed, and going to the living room. I thought at first that this may be a heat thing..and I even went to the lengths of buying him cooling pads. Those didn’t help the situation either. What really got me talking on this feeling (and this is a feeling I’ve been having for months now) is how he acted when I took a vacation for 4 days, and had to leave him with someone else. Someone he had never met before. He fell in love with her. She would send videos and pictures all day and night to ensure I knew he was all good. He didn’t leave her side. He cuddled her everytime she laid down, in fact she mentioned he cuddled “hard”, almost too much! He would take naps beside her, and he seemed so affectionate towards her. 
He has always loved new people, it seems tons more than he cares for me. It’s a very difficult thing to try to explain to someone...without actually seeing it, or feeling the way I do. If I can be completely honest, it breaks my heart. I give 110% to this little guy. Always have. I’ve spent tons of hours training, tons of money on toys, treats, and vet visits to ensure his well being. He eats very well, too. I’m honestly to the point of re-homing him, if he is truly that unhappy here with me. I want a dog so bad, and am capable of having one. But I fear the way this makes me feel at times, is not good for me. It seriously grinds on you after months of it, especially to see him click and vibe with someone so strongly, after you’ve invested so much into a relationship. It sounds terrible, but I don’t want to waste my heart andmy time on an animal that will never truly care for me. I’m honestly at a loss and a stand still. I’ll answer any questions that anyone may have honestly, and as quickly as I can. 
And thank you so much for reading this long story!

Solitaire13

Oct-6

What do you do for fun that he likes to do?

What do you do for exercise for him?

Describe a routine day.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Oct-6

German Shepherds are very people oriented, so if I had to guess one thing it would be that your dog is looking for a different type of interaction.  We call it engagement.  I taught my dogs to sit and look into my eyes before allowing them to break the sit.  If your dog is playful, you can learn to use that to engage his attention. Stonnie Dennis has a lot of good videos. I picked this one because he’s talking about teaching attention span to puppies about the same age as your dog, but he’s also engaging them. It’s not too long, either. Some of his videos are 45 minutes to 1 hour.  I like this one because the whole time he is walking and working the dogs, they are focused on him. Even when they are off wandering on their own they stick close and they listen to him.

If you watch closely you notice two things about him. He never stops moving. When he works the dog it’s brisk and also short.  Then at the very end of the video, after they have done good work, he gets them all excited and plays with them.  He’s not just throwing a toy, he has them busy and moving. Then when he sits them on the table, he doesn’t let them get up until he wants them to. You have one dog so you won’t have the distractions but if you can learn to interact with your dog the way he does, you might see more of a positive response. Try this and I will look for other videos to shows you interactions that can engage your dog.

Teach Your Puppy to Concentrate and Pay Attention!

One of the most important things in a puppy training program, is the ability to concentrate and pay attention under high levels of distraction! I hope you gu...

ArkansasAC

Oct-9

So I’ll start with the morning time. He doesn’t sleep in my room, he sleeps in the living room. I always leave my bedroom door open. So the second my alarm goes off at 6:15 am, he is on his way hurriedly to my bedroom, where he comes to my bed and sometimes lays with me for around 2-3 minutes. This is literally the best time of the day, because that’s about all I get from him. We get out of bed at around 6:20 to let him outside and do his business. While he’s outside, I get his breakfast ready for him, and when he comes back in, I put his bowl down for him and let him eat. I’ll play a little bit of thrown and catch with him for around 10 minutes while I watch the weather channel, and then it’s off to the shower. He always, always lays on the rug directly out of the shower. It seems like he doesn’t want to lose sight of me. After the shower it’s usually pretty quick, with getting dressed, and finishing up everything. I give him his Greenie (which he is super ecstatic about) and he knows to go to his kennel; because I’m heading to work for the day. 
Everyday, I come home for lunch to let him outside and hang out while I eat lunch. I leave the house at 7:15 am and get home for lunch around 12:15. We don’t do a whole lot, given I only have around 30 minutes at the house on lunch. We will chill on the couch and I’ll throw him his pig toy and let him catch it. (That’s his absolute favorite thing to do). But most of the time he’s pestering whomever I bring home for lunch. Usually my coworker. 
Then it’s back to work until 5:00. 
When I get home, he’s literally the first thing I go to. I put my keys down, and let him out. Some days he’s happier to see me than others, some days he will walk through my legs a couple times, and then be over it. I grab a beer, and we go outside immediately. He does his business, and I grab his ball. I usually stay outside and play music, and throw his ball until the sun goes down, and that’s usually around 7:15 now a days. We go on walks some, but he’s very easily sidetracked, and it’s hard to keep him focused where we live. Also he barks at literally everyone! His cackles stand up, and i can see where it scares some of the neighbor kids...so walks are not as common as they maybe should be. But he plays ball from 5:30 to 7 atleast, non stop, unless he tires out first. Then it’s another shower, same song and dance. At this point, it’s around 8pm. I’ll usually hop on the couch and watch something, and he brings his pig toy back out. (He would catch that all night if I’d let him lol). Right now it’s 9:27 and he’s finally knocked out in his kennel. 

ArkansasAC

Oct-9

That is awesome! Jax is super smart, I know he is. Sometimes he doesn’t act like it lol, but he is. I will definitely try some of these techniques. It honestly just seems like unless I have treats it toys, he could care less what I’m doing. I will definitely try this starting tomorrow. Thank you for the video as well! I’ll be doing some research into his videos. 
I sometimes wonder if maybe I just picked a breed that isn’t for me. But that doesn’t explain how he interacts with others. 

DW (GSDogwalker)

Oct-9

I’m sorry, I thought I set your account so your posts would go right through.  I missed this post from Wednesday.  I fixed it so we can see your replies right away now.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Oct-9

Once you learn how to interact with him in a way he will respond to, everything will change.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Oct-9

It sounds like he’s very tuned in to you. Lying down near you, watching you, bringing toys.  Not all German Shepherds are cuddly. I’m not sure you realize how important that attention is.  He could be more playful with others because he’s not as comfortable with them as he is with you.  He knows he has your attention and he trusts you.