German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Most important training you can do   Behavior and Training

Started Nov-9 by DW (GSDogwalker); 227 views.
DW (GSDogwalker)

Nov-9

List what is most important to you when getting a puppy and also what is most important for your dog to know as an adult.

In reply toRe: msg 1
DW (GSDogwalker)

Nov-10

Am I the only one who trains puppies?

I like to get them used to working with me, so I start with moving into positions.

1. Sit—> Watch me

2. Down—>Watch me and Place

3. Heel at my side —> forward heeling

House manners

1. Don’t chew on me

2. Don’t jump

3. Don’t make unnecessary noise

4. Respect my things

5. Crate training

and of course Don’t pee indoors,

Kazell

Nov-10

-Housetraining

-No chasing other animals, besides dog friends lol

-No pushing past in hallways/through doorways 

-Respecting the space of people when playing with other dogs and no jumping up (no taking out people at the knees)

-Solid recall/able to safely be offleash

-Go potty on command

I teach puppies basics commands and leash manners, particularly as they get older. I don’t usually have puppies on leash too much. 

In reply toRe: msg 3
DW (GSDogwalker)

Nov-10

Those are all good tasks and behaviors. I do most of them as well except respecting space.  I should, but I never think of it when they are little. My dogs tend to like to play indoors and I let them. I probably shouldn’t.  So they are always in each other’s space.

I have always heavily relied on leashes due traffic and crowdS, but I’m going the other extreme with any future dogs,

Kazell

Nov-11

In my other house I didn’t let the dogs play indoors because there was no room. I don’t mind them playing indoors now as long as they don’t get too crazy. 

Respecting space for me in that context is more about them not crashing into people when they’re rocking around having fun outside. They can pretty seriously hurt somebody and it’s not too hard to teach when older. If you watch dogs play, at least if they have good social skills, they’ll avoid and respect the space of older grumpy dogs even when busy playing around, that’s where I got the idea from. My dogs when going full throttle around me do just that, they go around me. If they come too close to wrestle with each other they get a hey too close, but they do pretty good on their own.

In reply toRe: msg 5
DW (GSDogwalker)

Nov-11

Yes, I agree.  Mine usually go around me but once he wasn’t looking and crashed right into my leg. We were outside and it hurt my knee but fortunately was temporary.  Now, if they are racing around and not paying attention, I move.

Solitaire13

Nov-11

I have to agree with respecting personal space. I think managing energy is important too.

Kazell

Nov-11

My dad has had knee surgery and I was neglecting that training when Luka was a pup. And of course he crashed right into that knee full speed so I find it a lot more important now. 

In reply toRe: msg 8
Solitaire13

Nov-11

A group of dogs crashed into a woman at a park and broke both of her legs years ago.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Nov-11

I agree. Burning off excess energy and teaching them to settle.