German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Ray the pleb had a grass seed stuck   Off Subject

Started May-12 by GetTheDogs; 732 views.
GetTheDogs

May-12

Apparently his fur is just the exact right type to pick up grass seeds.

They think it's the same infection as the one he had a fever from a couple of months ago but mow it's clearly a foreign object causing the issue.

It's really weird seeing your own dog knocked out at the vets. It's like they're dead.

They found a grass seed and put in a drain. Said don't let him scratch it.  Put socks on his feet.

So I duct taped white socks to his feet and during the night he obviously scratched his bloody wound and woke up looking like Lietenant Dan from Forrest Gump.

And the drain was missing. I said to the vet I think it's gone back in. They reckon he ate it.

Most of his swelling went down except the original lump which hardened. They pulled out 10" of latex drain from it this morning and now he's hopefully much better and can bite a tug on Saturday!

WHY ARE DOGS SUCH HEART BREAK?

Pics of him recently for attention as well as his wounds lol

DW (GSDogwalker)

May-13

All that for a seed? Is it the bristle type that embeds in the skin and travels?

GetTheDogs

May-14

Yes. Messed up hey? The vet told us about a rotty that ended up paralysed. The seed went into the spine and took a blade of grass with it. 

DW (GSDogwalker)

May-14

That is scary.  My old vet did a surgery on a dog that had a traveling seed.  It ended up taking a full day to find it. The owners couldn’t pay the bill, so they signed the dog over to the vet’s office.  They also didn’t want the dog anymore. It was very sad but they saved the dog and found a new home for it.  The vet paid for the surgery.

DW (GSDogwalker)

May-14

Yes it was but the vet got cancer and died. They don’t make them like that anymore, cared more about dogs than money.

DW (GSDogwalker)

May-14

Yes that’s it! Foxtails!!

bearshandler

May-18

Now I have to deal with dumb grass seeds. I had to pull bear from training because he was limping but I couldn’t figure out why. Then I noticed him licking his paw. Now he’s got this giant lump that needs to get drained.

GetTheDogs

May-18

Sucks hey? How long will you have to rest him for?