Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

My German Shepard has Ehrlichia    Health, Nutrition and Exercise

Started Jul-27 by tanabtawi; 218 views.
tanabtawi

Jul-27

My German Shepard Benzy was diagnosed with ehrlichia 3 weeks ago. We noticed something was wrong when she was struggling to walk, tucking her tail between her legs and pointing her head downwards walking rapidly. We took her to the doctor, they ran blood tests, and said she has a minor case. They prescribed her doxycycline which she has been taking.

Benzy was getting better for 3 weeks, and today all of a sudden she is having terrible joint stiffness and struggling to walk. Is this normal? She still has 9 days of medicine left. 

I already overreacted once and took her back to the doctor after 5 days of her taking doxycycline and don’t want to do it again for no reason (she hates the doctor as most do). Would love an insight or past experiences.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jul-27

I’m not familiar with that disease. Is it a parasite?

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jul-27

OK, I looked it up and it’s a tick related disease.  When I have a question, I call my vet. They are so busy they can answer questions by phone if the dog has had a recent exam. It’s possible the stiffness is a side effect unrelated to the disease and not affected by meds.  You might need a different medication or treatment.  Also, what are you using to prevent tick bites in the future?  There are some preventatives.  

My dogs don’t like exams but they like the vet. She is fear free so the exams are like playtime.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jul-27

I apologize for not seeing your post last night. We have to run new posters through a filter due to spam and I didn’t checked it until just now.  Your future posts should go through immediately.

bearshandler

Jul-27

Never dealt with it. I would deficome up with a tick solution if I lived in an area where it was a problem. They were a bog problem in Tennessee so I understand the pain.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jul-27

This is a good article. It sounds like the symptoms can last a while.  If the treatment is 3-4 weeks maybe it takes that long to fully get over it. They say with doxy, the symptoms will go away.  If not, call the vet.

https://www.petmd.com/dog/parasites/signs-and-symptoms-ehrlichiosis-dogs