German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

  • 1003
  • 110208
  • 0


SOS - electrician needed!   Off Subject

Started 10/15/21 by Solitaire13; 669 views.

I put in a main disconnect right at the meter base, first of all. Although I have only a 10VA "pole pig", the main disconnect is a 100 amp circuit breaker.

(ed to insert - now my wires from the disconnect go to the "utility" terminals of a generator transfer panel, and then the "common" terminals have wire that go back into the box to the bus bars of the distribution panel. Then it branches out to everything else including the 60 amp circuit to the house.)

According to the code, you have to have minimum AWG-4 copper wire to carry 100 amps, and ideally it should be AWG-2 if you go up to 125 amps. But check the modern code - I did mine in 1982.

Two hots, red and black, white neutral up to the meter base and to the neutral bus bar in the distribution panel (and now to the generator transfer switch). Green ground which goes to a copper plate at the bottom of the wooden "yard pole" that holds meter base and the end of the overhead cable to the transformer on the pole.

Longer runs need larger cable.

I acquired some surplus oil field cable that is about AWG-2 to feed a 60 amp circuit to the mobile home about 165 feet away from the yard pole.

Now my wiring from meter base to breaker panel in the mobile home is NOT that simple. There are branch circuits going to the water well, to the shop building, to a pair of storage buildings, and a pole shed, and several outdoor lights on poles and lower level safety lights with electrical outlets on riser conduits in various strategic places like driveway marker lights and some motion activated lights on poles.

But the simple thing - AWG 4 or AWG 2 for 100 amps. Google for wire gauge ampacity chart to be sure.

Conduit fillage: No more than 30%. Use larger conduit than you think you need. If you think it should be 1.5 inch, run 2 inch. You need to look up the current code for conduit burial depth and proper marking, especially for plastic or "non-metallic". Check local codes for what is allowed above ground. I have schedule 40 PVC throughout but I painted all of mine above ground to protect it from ultraviolet degradation.