German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

German Shepard lifts a limb and cries in pain    Everything Else German Shepherd

Started May-21 by sofiatsamb; 135 views.
sofiatsamb

May-21

Hi so I have a 12 year old German Shepard and lately he’s been doing this thing where he will lift one of his front limbs and cry out in pain for about 10 seconds and then he’s fine back to walking and chasing the puppy. Other times I guess he’s in so much pain he falls down. But he’s crying so hard you can tell he’s hurting but it literally last 10 seconds no more. I’m always there to rub his leg and tell him it’s okay. He’s been doing This almost everyday at least once. Sometimes after excessive exercise (for his age) with my one year old. I’m worried and scared. I have him on glucosamine he’s also on .5mg of prednisolone for his skin allergy’s and I’ll give him a Zyrtec every other day for his allergy’s. He also takes a spleen supplement. He’s on zignature diet with plenty of fluids always around.  Idk if it’s something he’s prescribed that’s bothering him or just arthritis. Or maybe even joint /muscle spasms since it only last such a short time. I love him so much and I can’t stand to see him in pain it quite literally breaks my heart. I got him the YuMove tablets and they seemed to be working for awhile and now it’s happening again. Pls help or maybe if you’ve experienced the same thing tell me what products worked for you. Thank you 

Ps-they are both outside dogs. He has a very comfy bed but decides to sleep on the ground instead every night. 

DW (GSDogwalker)

May-21

It sounds like arthritis.   Have you taken him to a vet?  There are medications that can help.  At his age, he may not need to run much either. Prednisone is usually a temporary medication. I’ve never had a fully outdoor dog so I don’t know about that.