German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Do you play tug with your dogs?   Behavior and Training

Started Jul-17 by DW (GSDogwalker); 452 views.
DW (GSDogwalker)

Poll Question From DW (GSDogwalker)

Jul-17

Do you play tug with your dogs?
  • Yes, with one or more dogs7  votes
    50%
  • Sometimes, with one or more dogs4  votes
    28%
  • No3  votes
    21%
  • Other0  votes
    0%
Yes, with one or more dogs 
Sometimes, with one or more dogs 
No 
Other 
In reply toRe: msg 1
DW (GSDogwalker)

Jul-17

Almost evenly split.  I need to know if it's safe to play tug with my dogs.  I have mixed information from trainers, and mixed here. Why or why not?

AislinnDeb

Jul-17

For some it's their reward for doing what I asked. 

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jul-17

My previous trainers all said it promotes aggression, our current trainer uses it as a training tool and doesn't believe that. Our last vet said it is GSD for puppy teeth.  Everyone has an opinion except me!

FriedFishie

Jul-18

I've heard the aggression argument, and am inclined to disagree. I'm obviously not an expert, but we always tugged with Pumpkin, and she's not at all aggressive with dogs or other people. I've also heard it can be bad for teeth, and I could see that to some extent. I don't know, maybe I'm being naïve, but I haven't seen the negative effects of it personally, and will probably continue using it as a game. Schubert is neither here nor there about it, but it's Pumpkin's favorite game. She'd be very sad if no one played it with her anymore.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jul-18

I'm going from not letting him play when he wanted to trying to interest him in it now.  It's slower than if we had done it from the start.  I'm using antoy to build drive while training.

Remi (DerWolfram)

Jul-18

I've heard all kinds of theories, that it builds aggression or that you should never let them win in order to show that you own all the toys and they play with them at your discretion. I've just gotten to a point to where I don't worry about that. I make a big effort to teach my dogs what they can and can not play with in the house. The toys are there for them to play with, and they regularly bring them to me to play tug. It's a reward and a good interaction activity, and as long as they aren't chewing up my shoes or gnawing on things that they shouldn't, I'll play tug all day long.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jul-18

The other fear is that they will learn to hold during a bite rather than release. But his Out is near perfect.

Remi (DerWolfram)

Jul-18

I teach both my dogs "Aus" (German for drop it) and when that command is said they have to let go. No exceptions. 

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jul-18

Yes! My boy knows that. I taught my older one a more generic Leave it which covers a lot of things. It mostly means stop what you are doing, drop it and focus on me. But for him, I have more specific commands. He needs them.