German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Which do you prefer to own, male or female dogs?   Off Subject

Started Sep-19 by DW (GSDogwalker); 896 views.
DW (GSDogwalker)

Poll Question From DW (GSDogwalker)

Sep-19

Which do you prefer to own, male or female dogs?
  • Male4  votes
    28%
  • Female1  vote
    7%
  • Either one, no preference9  votes
    64%
  • Other (explain)0  votes
    0%
Male 
Female 
Either one, no preference 
Other (explain) 
In reply toRe: msg 1
DW (GSDogwalker)

Sep-22

Its a tie so far between Males or Either.

Cloudpump

Sep-24

A good dog is a good dog. 

Sasha is so different than d'jango. 

DW (GSDogwalker)

Sep-24

In what ways?  My females have all been sharper dogs, very bossy, very Me Me Me. My males have all been mellowed and more laid back, even my high drive dog.

Bike (URALTOURIST1)

Sep-30

My 7 pound Papillon was the most laid back dog in the world, my 6 pound Chihuahua is pretty much the same around people but she can be a cast iron bitch boss around other dogs.  My neutered full sized 21 pound Doxy was super with folks when introduced but really sensitive around dogs, he was such a pushover overall, he even raised an abandoned kitten.

In my whole life, I have chosen ONE dog, the rescued senior puppy Papillon, all the rest have been given to me, thrown away by others or inherited.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Sep-30

Then you like either one?  I haven't been around many Chis, so I was surprised recently to see how forceful they can be. They don't know they are so tiny they could be stepped on by a big foot.  There is a new one that is training with my trainer after my class is over.  I stayed after class to watch them.  That dog is smart!  Everything was new to him, but he got it right away.  It's funny to see the trainer with such a small dog, since most of the dogs we train with are either huge, or are medium sized lap dogs.

Bike (URALTOURIST1)

Sep-30

You need to go to You Tube and watch the deputy dog episodes, interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TsOyuQSJKg  and more.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Sep-30

Yes it is.

Slam, could you use one of these?

CC to Slamdunc77
AislinnDeb

Oct-1

I don't think any of my Papillons were laid back until they were quite old and even then they were usually still on the go. I tend to like males because I've found them more velcro dogs, while the girls were always more independent.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Oct-1

I always wonder when someone has one or two dogs of a breed and assumes all are like that.  When the one dog could be atypical.  So many people tell me about their childhood GSD who was calm, perfectly trained, wonderful with children and easy.  Yet they never had a second one.  They are remembering an elderly dog, not the puppy, who was probably wild, drivey and difficult.  I keep hoping my drivey 2 yr old will settle into a mellow and calm adult eventually. Drive is good but so is calm.