German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Woman refuses to return service dog   Controversies, Catastrophes and Teaky Moments (Enter at your own risk)

Started Feb-4 by Showtalk; 1507 views.
Showtalk
Host

Feb-4

Remi (DerWolfram)

Feb-5

Pretty sure that's illegal since dogs are considered property. Also, if it is actually a service dog, the dog is also considered medical equipment. The person refusing to return the dog is not only a heartless a-hole, but getting themselves set up for a massive lawsuit and criminal charges. 

AislinnDeb

Feb-5

I don't see how she can legally keep the dog. I hope she realizes what this dog does for this man and the law and returns it.

Showtalk
Host

Feb-5

I think so too.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Feb-5

They might need to get the police involved.  Maybe a volunteer group can find her son another dog.

selzer

Feb-6

They DO need to get the police involved.  The dog IS property.  It IS chipped.  She has no excuse.  If her poor autistic son got attached to a dog that wasn't hers, it is her own darn fault.  Now she has to be an adult and give the dog back.  Really, she should be charged with grand theft canine. 

DW (GSDogwalker)

Feb-6

Can they do that?  How did she keep the dog that long and not know it was chipped to someone else?

Kazell

Feb-6

It didn't say she had it the whole time did it? Maybe she bought him from somebody who stole him or something. That's why she was getting him chipped? 

I don't know state laws but in my area if you find a dog you have to take several advertising steps or take it to the shelter and then re adopt it. If that's not done then legally you can't keep it. If that was done and the previous owners just never found it I think legally it would be the new owners dog? I dunno, mess of laws and such. 

DW (GSDogwalker)

Feb-6

It’s possible.  There must be more to the story.  We can look to see if there is more out there.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Feb-6

Facebook posting