German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Question for Dog Trainers - Puppy growling at owner    Behavior and Training

Started May-10 by DW (GSDogwalker); 572 views.
DW (GSDogwalker)

May-10

This is for all our trainers and experienced owners.  I have never had a puppy growl, snarl or bite at me in anger, so I don’t know what to tell her.  Someone has a beagle, in heat, around 7-8 months old, who snarls and bites when the owner tries to pick her up or grab her collar.

My advice was to stop picking her up, train the dog not to jump and to go into the crate on command so there is no need to grab the collar, but those aren’t fixes, they are temporary solutions. I suggested getting a trainer.

If someone presented a dog to you with that behavior, how would you train the owners?

Solitaire13

May-10

Is this some thing new that coincides with her coming into heat?

Tybor thinks I am awful sexy when the girls come into heat.

DW (GSDogwalker)

May-10

Maybe. She has been in heat about a week and just started doing this.  Is that normal behaviors for a dog in heat?

Solitaire13

May-10

The girls get cranky with each other and the boys get cranky with each other. They are the same with me pretty much. 

DW (GSDogwalker)

May-10

Is it called Heat aggression?

DarkestWolf

May-11

I don't know what it is called, but I have heard about it even fights other breeds not GSD that I am aware. Although maybe if they were only dogs they would growl at the owner with no other dogs to grumble at. My girls have grumbled at even their puppies at that time but never took it further then grumbling. Kind of leave me alone warnings no snapping or showing teeth or full out growling. The puppies left mom alone. At that age they were weaned and around 4 to 6 months old but still out with mom to train and play if mom enjoys playing.

Hounds are usually pretty mellow.

DW (GSDogwalker)

May-11

This dog is mellow around me but has a lot of energy.  She needs more training.

DarkestWolf

May-12

Training always helps.

DW (GSDogwalker)

May-12

They need a trainer to observe the dog at home.

DarkestWolf

May-13

Agreed sometimes in the dogs home there is something happening a different dynamic then happens in training yard.

I had a case of an owner reporting a dog from my class a really mild mannered BC who got along with all people and all dogs growling at him when he tried to make him get off the couch. I brought my outdoor couch to the training indoor area and the dog would get off every time. So I went to the home and saw him growl at both his mom and dad when they tried to get him off. He would get off the love seat and the chairs. He would get off the couch for me but I could tell it made him angry.

They could pet him give him treats no growl they could order him off he wouldn't get off. They tried to take him by the collar and make him get down he would growl.

I took him off and put him in his crate he was very angry at me but he only growled once.

It took me about twenty minutes to figure this out and when I did I laid on the couch like he did and looked at it from his angle then I saw something and knew what it was he was guarding his toys from their Aussie. His toys and about a dozen tennis balls fell down into this couch and he couldn't reach them to get them out. I had them crate the Aussie and let the border collie out when he saw all those toys he forgot to be angry at me or his owners and took them one by one to his crate.

The owners thought he had buried the toys and chew bones we took the couch apart and let him retrieve the last toy to let him know there were no more there after this we worked on him getting off the couch and giving him the toy he never growled again.

Sometimes it can be hard to figure out why a dog does something. But a good trainer can usually solve a problem.