POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Chained up   Off Subject

Started May-23 by Cloudpump; 392 views.
Cloudpump

May-23

Solitaire13

May-23

I never really could understand why somebody wants to have the extra job of feeding and watering a dog and shoveling #### 365 days a year and get nothing in return because they won't let the dog be a dog, a companion, or a friend.

DW (GSDogwalker)

May-23

And yet they do.  Dog houses.  Chains.  Dogs must stay outside all the time.  Unless it’s jut a working dog, I don’t  get it.

LakotaGSD

Jun-1

I have temporarily tied dogs in a place but never for more then two hours to keep cattle back but allow us to walk horses by. No I have only had two dogs I could leave in a spot and tell them to watch the cattle and they would all the others want to get involved or wander off their posts.

The cattle just seeing the dogs won't try to pass through.

But keeping a dog chained 24 7 never my mom had one she had to chain when she went to work soon as she was gone we could let him loose she finally got a kennel that would hold him. He would follow her and he could jump any fence she had to build a walled area with a wire roof to hold him.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jun-1

What breed was your mother's dog?  I had a wanderer once, but I got the dog as an adult, so I don't know the history.

LakotaGSD

Jun-1

A German Shepherd he was half British and half German lines, a great dog but he was a Houdini. She is the one that got me started in them. She was afraid he would jump through the window he took out a couple of screen doors. 

selzer

Jun-3

We had a dog when I was a kid.  Got her on my brother's 9th birthday.  Mom brought her home from Cleveland where her aunt was feeding her.  She was a stray about 9 months old. 

We started her in the house.  We had new carpet and that dog managed to hit every inch, up and down the steps, dining room living room.  She had worms, and horrible diarrhea and was becoming emaciated. 

We took her to Dr. Lake, and he told us to feed her chicken soup.  We did.  She wouldn't touch it after a couple of days.  By the end of the week, she looked like death warmed over. 

We took her back, and he said he would check her for worms, but doesn't want to when she is so sick.  So he gave her a shot to make her more active and sent us away.  We put her in the car and drove to the other vet in town.  This was 35 years ago, and this, then young vet (still my vet), was so pissed. 

He was shaking his head.  He shoved something up her but to get a sample.  Told us she had worms, gave her medicine.  Told us to get her off the generic food (we were feeding generic gaines burgers from Edwards (now Finast), and keep her out of the garbage. 

It might sound harsh, but my parents chained her in the garage, where she could go in or out of the garage.  She lived there for 13 more years.  She was a shepherd-hound mix, and other than a bout of stomach cancer that should have killed her, she was happy as a lark.  Nice dog.  We took care of her.  One day the water lady wanted to read the meter and asked my mom to move the dog.  She sent my little sister who was 5 at the time and looked about 3, out there to bring the dog in while the lady hid behind her house. 

Princess was not a happy dog when she was loose.  It seemed all was right in her world when the chain was on.  When it was off, she was unsettled.  I used to take her for walks at night, usually no leash.  We'd go uptown and get a day-old chocolate donut, which she loved.  But when we got back home, and I hooked her up, then she would visibly relax. 

Pippy was my parents' next dog and he was never chained, save to potty out back. 

Then they had Cujo1.  Cujo would spend half an hour on his chain each morning.  He liked that half hour.  It was his time to be outside and watch the world go by.  My frail, recovering mother would unhook the puppy and he would wait patiently to be hooked and unhooked.  It was so like clockwork, that my mom forgot he was out there one day, and a neighbor knocked on the door to find out if Mom was ok.  Nice living in a small town. 

But it didn't stop the do-gooders.  That dog had allergies and was on a special diet, and some lady was parked at the insurance agency next door and took it upon herself to feed the dog treats.  My mother saw her through the window.  A note to the wise: not every dog on a chain is abused or has a terrible life. 

Actually, I think chaining a dog is more humane than leaving them crated while you are working, traveling to and from, and while you are sleeping.  At least a chained dog can move freely, drink and pee. 

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jun-3

Dogs can get used to anything but it might not be the best possible solution.  We had a dog who only wanted to be outside, but he was not a German Shepherd.  At night we insisted he sleep in the garage but the m8nite he got up, he wanted to be out again.