Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Backpacking   Health, Nutrition and Exercise

Started Jul-8 by RushtonS; 271 views.
RushtonS

Jul-8

I want to go backpacking with my dog and I got a good pack for them but I don't know how much weight he should carry if he could carry his food, food dishes and tie out that would be great. He is almost three years old and I have had him carry around the empty pack and the pack with towels on it. I don't want him hurt or I don't want to sour him on it. I have found articles about backpacking with dogs but none of them say anything about weight.

Thanks

Rush

Cloudpump

Jul-8

Start low, then build up. The dog is old enough, just is the dog in good enough shape

Wolfenblu

Jul-8

What Cloud said is true I have done limited back packing with my dogs in the past.

The thing is don't leave the packs down where they can have access to them mine tore up a brand new pack getting at treats I had in there.

RushtonS

Jul-8

Ok great we jog about a half a km a day sometimes more early morning and evening jogs when the weather isn't so bad footing is bad, so we are in good shape I did a 2.4 km hike with him a couple of weeks ago and let him carry our towels to the beach and back they were a little heavier coming back but not much.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jul-8

What brand pack did you get?  Is your dog a German Shepherd?  Please don’t take the dog if it’s too hot.  Last year a GSD died of heatstroke in a coastal city.

RushtonS

Jul-9

We went to the beach at night so it would be cooler. I got a Ruffwear Palisades. He is a German Shepherd a black sable and a bit on the big side I got him as a puppy from my girlfriends sister who breeds a litter from time to time. I wanted a dog to go hiking and camping and jogging with as well as be my best buddy. We live in an apartment but he gets a lot of time with me and exercise he even can go to some classes with me I am a college student.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jul-9

That is a nice one.  The reason I asked is to check for size. That one holds a lot.  Keep it very light while he gets used to it.  

RushtonS

Jul-9

Thanks I will I got it from another student it was too big for his dog and she had tried it on but it was like new.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jul-9

I like my dogs to carry their own supplies.  I bring mine in a backpack.

DarkestWolf

Jul-9

I do some backpacking the thing to learn starting out besides slowly increasing weight is balance if you put say 2 pounds in the right side you want two pounds in the left once your experienced you can just tell by putting the packs in each hand. I have a packs that are detachable which is best, mine are Outward Hound which used to be the best yours are better. My dogs carry all their food and gear and usually a tent fly or ground cover too.