German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Ticks the season to be jolly   Controversies, Catastrophes and Teaky Moments (Enter at your own risk)

Started Jul-18 by Solitaire13; 824 views.
Solitaire13

Jul-18

So Teaky went in for a routine tune up and all is good, clean bill of health.

We discussed flea, tick, heart worm and parasite meds. I asked about Advantage Multi because it addresses heartworm. Here is what was said, the Dr said one medication does not do everything. She said orals are far better than topicals for fleas. She also advised that for this area, focus on meds that address fleas and ticks. She said heartworm is not a problem around here and that ticks are really bad now. She opted to keep Teaky on tick meds and forego heartworm preventative.

Solitaire13

Jul-18

Yes, I worry about that stuff but never had a problem before.  None of  these dogs ever had a tick on them.

Jeri (azpaints)

Jul-18

You’re lucky.  We had a couple ticks on our lab, Stormy, and on one of our horses.  *knock on wood*.   Fleas once on a cat and horrible worms on our very first dog, vet didn’t think he’d make it, but he did.  We’ve been really lucky.  

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jul-19

That is what we do.  Unless you are in Florida or a similar place, you don’t need advance heartworm meds.  

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jul-19

It’s hard to see a tick on a black dog.

Solitaire13

Jul-19

I hear Virginia is hit pretty hard.

Jeri (azpaints)

Jul-19

It certainly is!  His were in his ears and one in his shoulder blade...his scratching gave that one away.   Took forever- he weighed over 100 lbs.  

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jul-19

That’s why foolproof pills work best.