German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

DW (GSDogwalker)

Aug-7

I put this under controversies because I think it’s easier to own German Shepherds and other herding or working breeds in the country rather than the city.  Sol, you are both, because you live in a city but your roaming areas are countrified.  Country dogs have more room to run off leash.  They are less likely to have dangerous or untrained dogs constantly in their faces.  They often have a real job, like herding sheep or cattle.  Even K9’s dogs have their own goats.

I have noticed people with German Shepherds in cities tend to downsize their dogs when they retire.  Although my neighbor turned 65 and got a GSD puppy.  But for the most part, older people go smaller.  My mom got a toy breed in her late 70s. She felt like a bigger dog would be too much to handle as she got older.  Personally, I never want to be without one, but I also wonder if I will be able to keep on getting and training GSD puppies in a more urban setting when I am older.  A lot of people move into retirement communities that have dog size limitations.  So you see people in those places either forced to give up their dogs or go to toy breeds. As a result, the homes around here usually have a lot of tiny, yappy little aggressive dogs.

So, who has it easier?  Country dog owners or city dog owners?

Solitaire13

Aug-7

I would not say we roam the country side but more like the woods. I think country dogs face other types of dangers such as venomous snakes and irate farmers and ranchers who WILL SSS. I also think country folk tend to speed around more on their roads due to distance and less traffic.

I don't think the elderly downsize due to where they live although I think you made some valid points. Personally, I will probably downsize too. It will be easier and safer for me to take care of a smaller dog.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Aug-7

I don’t care for smaller breeds, except herding dogs and they are all very active.  

Jeri (azpaints)

Aug-7

Timing is the key.  When you notice you are slowing down or tiring sooner, get your “Downsized” dog of choice.  If your lucky, the dog will be more settled and less active by the time you are ready to rock on the porch instead of rock the dog show world.  Your health or an injury can also give you a good idea on timing.  

DW (GSDogwalker)

Aug-7

Says the woman who got one of the most active breeds there is.  Isn’t your Cassie an active breed?

Jeri (azpaints)

Aug-7

Ah, but she’s a show bred Mini Aussie and was 18 mos old when we got her.  So mini-active, LOL, and not working bred.   Seriously, though, we have land and she gets as much exercise as possible in the heat.  That said, I have a friend who has three full sized AS, working bred to the hilt, and they are content with the free exercise they get during horse feeding, etc.   I think a lot depends on the breeding and early socializing, too.

Jeri (azpaints)

Aug-7

I think using “city” and “country” isn’t a complete choice.  Where I am is either a “countrified city” or “citified country”.  Our 2 block area has homes on 1 acre lots, 2 acres, 3 and 5.  Our set backs are 40’, so at. least 80’ house edge to house edge, but they are building a shopping centers 3 blocks away and there is a dairy farm 3 blocks in the other direction. A couple miles away is an area that you’d call city...houses 18-20’ total apart, gas station on every corner, street lights and signal lights!  

For me “country” is acres of corn, cotton, alfalfa hay between farm houses, not the idiotic area I live in.  

I think there is a difference in how people chose and treat their dogs.  For me, it’s more about personality and size than anything else.  For others it’s if the dog will herd or protect or be a lap dog.  

Something that is really beginning to worry me is that ALL of our shelters are giving away free dogs and cats every weekend now.  The one shelter went from over 700 animals to 50 in one free weekend and the very next weekend claimed they were out of space with over 500 dogs to give away free.  Times four shelters?  HS, ASPCA, county animal control every weekend.  Dogs and cats on the Am news shows every day instead of just Wednesday and Saturday.  

DW (GSDogwalker)

Aug-7

I don’t know that much about them.  I know one friend who owns them and they are very active.  She works so she has to get someone to exercise them.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Aug-7

They are doing that all round the country.  We are inundated with poorly bred and untrained dogs.  I almost hate going anywhere anymore where people take dogs.  It’s intrusive.

Jeri (azpaints)

Aug-7

The full size AS are supposed to be active.  The line my friend has are from intensely working bred lines.  Mom and dad, grandma and grandpa and great grandparents all worked on a huge working commercial cattle ranch.  They round up cattle, work fence lines with owners on horses, herd goats and guard the ranch.  Her three are mostly couch potatoes.  She got all of them at 9-10 weeks old, they are about 2 yrs apart in age.  So there must be something in nurture in addition to nature?  I know that with GSD the same litter can produce family pets, strong prey drive, high prey drive, softer and harder.  Same must be true of all breeds.  We’ve seen full siblings to Cassie that are non stop motion but they are all also easy to train and all are very people and kid friendly.  Luck of the draw?