German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Power of a scent dog   Everything Else German Shepherd

Started Dec-4 by DW (GSDogwalker); 63 views.
DW (GSDogwalker)

Dec-4

3 year old sable working line can sniff out minute trace amounts

Jeri (azpaints)

Dec-4

Scent dogs are amazing when you think of the things they can sniff out.  Saw a program on a drug sniffing GSD and IIRC he could sniff 14 different substances...cocaine, heroin, meth, fentanyl, weed, lsd, and others!  The dog worked in the baggage area of a major airport.  And that’s not even mentioning SAR dogs and cadaver dogs.  

DW (GSDogwalker)

Dec-4

I am teaching mine to air scent and to track.  They are different skills.  He can find every hidden object I can hide for him.  It took a while.  First I taught him the word by hiding a toy in plain sight. Once he knew the word, he would run around and sniff the general area, then zero in. It's amazing to watch him work.

He can track a scent anywhere with his nose to the ground, too.  I'm in the process of teaching him a second word for trail scenting.

Jeri (azpaints)

Dec-4

Our Mal friend has a SAR dog that does the toy thing, too...actually all her dogs do the find, retrieve and place trick now with toys, but she learned how to teach it when training for SAR.  So she sends them out to get the carrot, retrieve and then tells them where to put it.  Not her words, but “find carrot, place on sofa” kind of thing.  

I think, but can’t prove it, that herding or working breeds would be much better at searching than most.  CRS other than Bloodhounds on what are actually scent breeds...I’m thinking Fox terriers and maybe beagles.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Dec-4

GSDs, Bloodhounds, Bassets, Labs, Beagles, Goldens, Mals, Coonhounds all have excellent senses of smell.  But they work in different ways and have different energy levels. SAR dogs need to be able to cover wide areas.

Jeri (azpaints)

Dec-4

They also need to be very athletic when used in the mountains.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Dec-4

Yes, athletic and agile.  My neighbor had a retired SAR that fell off a cliff and was injured.  That poor dog had shoulder problems and died at age 10.  It was a beautiful long haired black sable.

Jeri (azpaints)

Dec-4

It’s a grueling job.  Our sheriff here has a SARS unit of horses and dogs.  They use the bar near the interstate for staging when the lost people are in the Mtns west of us.  Lot of our neighbors drop by and pay for cold drinks from the bar...non alcoholic..and some even will buy them lunch.  

DW (GSDogwalker)

Dec-5

It is grueling.  Scenting is just a small part of what they do. They can cover miles of terrain, dangerous weather and ground conditions.