German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Which would you prefer buying a puppy?   Controversies, Catastrophes and Teaky Moments (Enter at your own risk)

Started Dec-17 by Solitaire13; 1666 views.
Solitaire13

Poll Question From Solitaire13

Dec-17

Which would you prefer buying a puppy?
  • Parents titled, pedigree fair2  votes
    25%
  • Parents untitled, pedigree top of the line4  votes
    50%
  • Parents not titled0  votes
    0%
  • Unpapered parents0  votes
    0%
  • Other - explain2  votes
    25%
Parents titled, pedigree fair 
Parents untitled, pedigree top of the line 
Parents not titled 
Unpapered parents 
Other - explain 
Cloudpump

Dec-17

This one is hard one. 

On one hand a good pedigree is a good pedigree. However. There is variation in all litters. Who's to say they untitled parents arent duds, with a some breeder trying to live off of a great pedigree. On top of that the biggest influence after a great pedigree is the dam

Solitaire13

Dec-17

IMO, a top of the line pedigree can only produce the genetics that are found in those lines, and yes, there will be variances.

An unknown pedigree or one with holes in it can only produce the unknown genetics in those lines.

K9trainersj

Dec-17

I don't know that I agree that I pedigree with SOME holes in it would ONLY produce unknown genetics. Some dogs are very influential in what they produce.

Cloudpump

Dec-17

But even with a great pedigree, what if the two breeding dogs were duds? Wouldnt that be just as bad?

K9trainersj

Dec-17

This one is hard. I would have to say I'd be open to a dog with a not awful pedigree with titled and health tested parents

Solitaire13

Dec-17

I never said that.  I said you have no clue what to expect from a pedigree with holes in it.  You simply don't know what genetics are sitting there

Solitaire13

Dec-17

If the two breeding dogs were duds, which can happen, the chances of it happening would either be rare or the pedigree was not as good as thought.

Solitaire13

Dec-17

Not me.  I would not touch a less than pedigree regardless of any health testing.  You have no clue what is lurking under the surface, could be epilepsy, could be "rage", could be bad hips which skip generations and such a pedigree would attest to there be no compensatory breeding to compensate for a dog with bad hips that might appear in a pedigree.  

To take it one step further, good breeders breed for the whole dog, not just for health.  What good is a healthy dog that can't work? Or won't protect the family?

Cloudpump

Dec-17

Hmm, things to think about.