German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussion

Herding Rats: Part II The Living Fence.   German Shepherd News, Videos and Miscellaneous

Started Jan-9 by Damselchum; 421 views.
Damselchum

Jan-9

I had to buy some rats for my snakes this weekend. Since they were mill rats and unquarantined - i didn't want to put them in my room with my pet rats. The snake room is kept a little too warm for rattie comfort. So I left them in their cage by the front door. 

I woke up this morning to a yappy bark. I ignored it thinking his ball ran under the couch. Some time later another yappy bark. I tried to go back to sleep but every so often there was another bark. It had been going on for  about an hour and a half since the first bark. 

I told Mako to knock it off. He didn't.

I called his name. He didn't come.

I called for him again. Nothing. 

I grabbed one of his squeaky toys. Squeak Squeak squeak. No Mako.

I knocked on the wall. He barked but didn't come investigate.

Uh oh something must be up. So I get out of bed grumbling. As I'm comming down the hall I call him again. He trots over to the hall entrance and looks at me. He is fiiiiiiiiiine. He is looking right at me. So I give his recall command. He looked at me, tilted his head, and then turned around and ran back into the livingroom. 

I was ticked at this point. Did that dog just willfully disobey me? 

Yes. Yes he did. 

I was suddenly not ticked when I saw why. 

The little buggers planned a grand escape last night. They chewed a perfect rat sized hole right through their cage!

I watched as a little rat head would poke out the hole, as soon as it tried to crawl out, Mako would muzzle punch it back in. What a convoluted game of whack a mole. 

I opened the cage and all rats were accounted for. Not a single escapee. Mako kept everyone at bay. 

So instead of scolding him for his disobedience I ended up praising him. As soon as I started to take care of the rats he went to his couch and fell asleep. Poor guy was kept up past his bed time.

• Edited January 9, 2017 10:23 am  by  Damselchum
AislinnDeb

Jan-9

LOL! I could just picture it! Mako is no longer just a hero dog, he's SuperHero dog!

Solitaire13

Jan-9

LOL!  Good boy Mako!

Now THAT is what I call mind games and good mental stimulation!

AislinnDeb

Jan-9

I had this quick mental picture of us all running out to grab some rats to see if we could get our dogs to do this, then went, Nope! No way!

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jan-9

Rat patrol!  Go Mako!  He found a new job. You have to love that dog!

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jan-9

You could try that with Teaky.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jan-9

Nope, no rodents here even for a good reason.

Damselchum

Jan-9

The things this dog does on instinct and good sense alone never ceases to amaze me. 

I'm particularly impressed with his intelligent disobedience type thing. I have successfully called him away from rats that were antagonising him plenty of times. He knew he would be risking a correction for not recalling. I swear he actually weighed the pros and cons. 

Then decided Nope. More important to keep my mini sheep in their pasture. 

If anything I think it's fair to say I don't have a robodog.

Solitaire13

Jan-9

That would be a negative.

Solitaire13

Jan-9

I believe that is a benefit to raising a wild child.