German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Question about bark training   Behavior and Training

Started Sep-6 by DW (GSDogwalker); 396 views.
DW (GSDogwalker)

Sep-6

Mine know to bark when they hear something outside that I need to know about. I taught them to bark on command and quiet on command.  There is someone working outside for a few days and they bark a warning every single time they hear a new noise.  Which is about every five minutes, so they are barking the whole time.  Is it worth teaching them to stop barking once they have told me the first time, or because it's temporary, should I let them keep telling me?  How do I keep them from contantly barking when I am not home?  The older one is crated, the younger has the full run of the house when I am gone.  Our training was cancelled due to the holiday, and we won't be going back for a few weeks, so I can't ask there in time to fix it this week.

K9trainersj

Sep-6

Depends what they are doing. If a quick alert bark and that's it I would ignore it and try distracting them when can. If barking more and excessively I would address it and correct them. 

AislinnDeb

Sep-6

As K9 said, if it's all the time I would address it and correct it. If you leave the house, perhaps turn the TV on loud to help drown out the sounds they are hearing. 

DW (GSDogwalker)

Sep-6

It's more like, Who are you and why are you making noise in my home?  On the advice of the trainer, we are not introducing them to anyone who is here temporarily. He said that defeats the purpose of having a protective dog.  The older one barks more, the younger really doesn't. This is unusual for him and once I have let him know I hear him, he stops.  But then they start up again when something else clunks.  

FriedFishie

Sep-8

I don't know how helpful this will or won't be, but my mom's Pumpkin is inclined to bark as an alert to things similar to this. For her, we usually let her know we've heard her, and that's enough. But if it isn't enough, or if it's more persistent noises/work from outside, we'll take her out to see what's going on so she knows and she knows that we know. We don't introduce her to people, mostly because people are usually a bit timid around her, but it tends to help her.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Sep-8

That is a good idea. I usually go investigate myself but this went on for a week.  They got used to most of the noises and the frequency slowed down.