German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

German Shepherd gets Award   German Shepherd News, Videos and Miscellaneous

Started Nov-10 by DW (GSDogwalker); 278 views.
DW (GSDogwalker)

Nov-10

For running a marathon 

selzer

Nov-11

Runners are crazy.  My sister had an x-ray done on her hip, and then ran a half-marathon.  Then the doctor called her and told her that her hip was broken.  Running a half-marathon with a broken hip ought to get you some kind of medal, but nope. 

No dog in the story though.  Just runners are crazy.  A GSD ought to be able to run a half marathon if training with their person. 

In reply toRe: msg 2
DW (GSDogwalker)

Nov-11

Runners need to run.  The dog was allowed to run but not get a runner trophy.  

AislinnDeb

Nov-11

There are some places who will give dogs a medal as well. 

DW (GSDogwalker)

Nov-11

They deserve one. Do dogs pay an entry fee?  Maybe that is why they didn’t give the medal. It costs them something.

AislinnDeb

Nov-11

That's a possibility. Plus the ones that do give a medal probably have the people put down if a dog is running with them in advance. They'd have to know how many to have.

RGoss99

Nov-20

What´s is the point? You seem to be more concerned with a person´s ego trip,then the dog, who could care less if he earns a medal. In fact many thing for which dogs, earn medal are the results of inhumane animal abuse.

Think about it why would any sane dog be moivated to runa race in the first place, unless he was abused.

AislinnDeb

Nov-20

I don't know about yours, but mine loves to run and loves to be with me. They'd much rather go with me then sit at home, and allowed to run? Not abuse in their minds. Now to suddenly run a dog in a race who isn't used to running would be abuse, but not for one that runs often and is in shape for it. 

RGoss99

Nov-20

Likes to run, of course, but in human terms, a dog running is a sprint, not a marathon. Our dogs here, farm country, are working dos, so I have no problem with dogs being trained as this creates a healthy bond between human and dog, and has a practical reason. But training to run a marathon serves no practical purpose, and is not natural to a dog´s nature.

One summer, I had a renter, who left his dog with me, as he went on a trip. I got all sorts of unnecessary instructions, and a request that I should walk him every day. Stating this is not a problem because the dog is lazy, tires easiy, so this should not take much time. I am older now, and bike and swim instead of running, but I used to run cross country, we have strict leash laws, but the dog was not aggressive, and I was on my own agricultural land, so we ran every day, and I was not worrried by breaking the law technicly. When its owner returned he was unhappy with be because his dog had lost weight. It seems that the dog was not lazy, itw owner was. Because dogs have their own agenda, and are curious, on our outings the dog covered more distance then I did, dashing off and exploring, or ahead and waiting to see which I would go next. Yes, the dog had lost weight, but was probably less likely to have a heart attack because it was way overweight when we started running.

What I object to is people using their dogs as personal ego trips, doing unnatural things solely for the amusement of the owners. I know it is against the law except for guide dogs, but people here sometimes tie their dogs up outside, and sometimes not. Tomorro, as every Tuesday, I have a lecture to give, and eat lunch at a restaurant which besides the dining room, has a patio, and sidewalk tables. Usually if the owner is eating on the sidewalk, the dog is tied to a table leg, because the street can be a distraction, but in the restaurant or patio, just told to sit. The restaurant is prepared, with what to me is a rather unusual water bowl for the dog. It is plastic with a square base, but forms a round bowl. It is hollow, so the space is filled with water to make it heavy, so as not to tip over. So without even asking, when the waiter brings bread and olives to the customer, he also brings water for the client and the dog which only gets restrained, if there is more then one dog present and he acts nervous.