German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

EMOTIONAL SUPPORT DOG BITES CHILD   Controversies, Catastrophes and Teaky Moments (Enter at your own risk)

Started 2/24/18 by Jeri (azpaints); 4884 views.
Jeri (azpaints)

2/24/18

The sooner people learn the difference between an emotional support animal and a service dog and implement rules for calling your dog/cat/peacock an "emotional support" animal the better, IMPO.

An emotional support dog bit a 6-year-old girl on a Southwest Airlines flight -- and some people are blaming the child

An emotional support dog bit a child passenger on a Southwest Airlines flight from Phoenix to Portland, Oregon on Wednesday night. The incident was reportedly first documented by another passenger, Todd Rice, on Twitter, though the tweet is no longer available.

"@SouthwestAir flight 1904 allows a support dog on the plane, bites kid, paramedics now on plane. Why are dogs on the plane?! Never again will I fly SWA," Rice reportedly wrote.

https://www.aol.com/article/finance/2018/02/24/emotional-support-dog-bit-girl-southwest-airlines-flight-blaming-child/23370051/

DW (GSDogwalker)

2/24/18

That is a difficult situation.  The child is 6, not even old enough to reason yet.  She should not have approached the dog, but an ESA should not react like that either.

I saw an ESA leave a pile of excrement on a sidewalk outside a busy service building, right in the path of people going in and out.  The owner has a walker and could not clean it up so she left it there.  Now people want to ban the dog.  But it had a service vest on and legally no one is allowed to ask why she needs the dog.  

Kazell

2/24/18

Legally they can ask what service the dog does, they have to be trained to do at least one task that directly helps with a disability. You cannot ask what the disability is though. ESAs are also not service dogs, they are not allowed in buildings other than housing if normal dogs aren't allowed. Outside of course is a different manner. As far as poop scooping goes that is rude to leave excrement somewhere, if she's going to take a dog places she could get something to pick up the poo. There are pooper scoopers so you don't have to bend down to pick it up. 

Jeri (azpaints)

2/24/18

My problem is that there are absolutely no hard and firm guidelines for Emotional Support animals...hence the peacock.  One lady I knew had a monkey that got loose and caused 30 kinds of havoc at a horse show.  Service Dogs have to undergo training and be certified; emotional support animals only have to be attached to a person who claims they are an emotional support animal and has a letter from their dr (and I know of at least 2 docs that hand the letters out willy nilly).  I googled emotional support animal documentation when the peacock issue came up and good grief, I could have had Cassie in a vest for a low $30 for the certification and the cost of a vest if I wanted one.  I luv Cassie but she would have made a horrid ESD..she loves everyone, unless she is under firm control she runs up to anyone and everyone for pets, she'll take food out of anyone's hand that passes by her nose.  We are working on it...but really?  For $30?  

Jeri (azpaints)

2/24/18

ESA's are allowed to fly for free, though, which is what contributes to this issue.

Solitaire13

2/24/18

Service dogs do not need to be professionally trained or certified.

DW (GSDogwalker)

2/24/18

Then she can’t take the dog inside, vest or not.  She is doing both.

DW (GSDogwalker)

2/24/18

Do ESAs require a vest?

Jeri (azpaints)

2/24/18

They are supposed to be trained for a specific handicap(s) and many of them are professionally trained (guide dogs for the blind) from a very young age for a year or longer. Service dogs are protected by the ADA, Emotional support dogs are not.  I shouldn’t have said “professional”, but many are, whereas many, if not most, emotional support animals are not trained but are pets that give their owners a feeling of security.  I also know of two esds that are listed as esd simply so the owner can take the dog on the plane for free and not have tp pay a dog sitter.  A friend of ours has an esd that does serve a purpose, but she had him professionally trained for the normal commands...walk, heel, sit, stay, lay, down, place.  Hes about 8# of Yorkshire terrior and she still put him in training to make double sure he never caused a problem for anyone.

Jeri (azpaints)

2/24/18

No,,but you can buy one, along with the “certificate” that says its a support dog.  If you look at the thread about the Husky...thats what he had and the cost was $29.99 I think.  No proof of any training required.

https://www.registermyserviceanimal.com/emotional-support-animal-requirements.html