German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Dog rescuers, flush with donations, buy animals from the breeders they scorn   Controversies, Catastrophes and Teaky Moments (Enter at your own risk)

Started Apr-11 by Solitaire13; 599 views.
DW (GSDogwalker)

Apr-11

I’m shocked, disgusted. How is this possible?  A stupid rescuer I know, bought a GSD from an immigrant.  She threatened him if he didn’t sell the dog, so he did.  They speutered and rehomed the dog before the man  could change his mind.  I got all over her about it and said her rescue could lose all their nonprofit status if they violated the contract, but apparently it’s legal? Her rescue group doesn’t even handle GSDs. But she is the same one who altered and rehomed a found dog without any effort to find the owner.

Solitaire13

Apr-11

Rescues seem to be relatively unregulated.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Apr-11

501c3. They have some rules.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Apr-11

This was written in 2014.  They are calling for imported dogs limited to 6 months or older.

https://animallaw.foxrothschild.com/2014/05/20/the-phenomenon-called-retail-rescue/

Jeri (azpaints)

Apr-11

WOW!  That’s horrid.  But explains why a rescue wants so much money for a puppy that they just got in.  

Solitaire13

Apr-11

Last I heard, these rescues would go to auctions to buy old and unhealthy dogs.  That was a long time ago.  Things sure have changed.  I guess you really got to dig to get all the facts before you can try to effect any real change,

Jeri (azpaints)

Apr-11

I kinda wondered because some of the breed specific rescues here don’t have breeders in the state so not likely to have a lot of pups in rescues to be “rescued” by breed specific rescuers.  I’ve seen this a couple of times at horse auctions but on a much smaller scale.  A favorite trick in horses is to put your horse in an auction, no sell the horse and then use the high bid to set a value for insurance- get some friends to “bid” the value up and your $2k horse becomes a $10k horse.  Bet some of that happens in dogs, too.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Apr-12

Puppies go for $500-600 at rescues, but they pay for speutering so I never thought it was too much.