German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

My Shy Guy   Behavior and Training

Started Jul-3 by DarkestWolf; 1284 views.
DarkestWolf

Jul-3

My puppies will be going to their new homes Saturday and my wife noticed something when one of my repeat buyers came to look at the puppies not to buy one but to look at them. (We encourage this)

All the puppies ran to greet us but one male he hung back my wife approached him he backed up a step or two once she touched him he was fine. At this age they usually are very outgoing.

He is a very nice looking dark male but I hate that he is shy like this I gave him some extra attention but I notice he is not as courageous investigating a drag toy the other puppies ran after he just watched. Squeaker toys he looks towards but has no interest in but he likes balls and will chase them.

Have any of you have a puppy like this?

He plays with his sibs but he seems soft they can take toys from him while the biggest male who is sold will get after others for taking his toys. The girls also seem pretty toy possessive. He seems very biddable and not spooked easy but shies slightly from people.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jul-3

He needs to go to the right home or you need to keep him.  At that age, they should be friendly and curious.

Solitaire13

Jul-3

How old are they?

I would spend play time with this puppy alone away from the others.

I would get this puppy among total strangers with one or two having close contact once or twice a week.

The most important thing I would do is to enlist someone you know and trust to hand his leash off to and have them walk away. Practice this a few times.

Keep it all positive and upbeat with lots of praise and rewards.

DarkestWolf

Jul-3

8 weeks old tomorrow.

This is good advice.

I have people that could help me brother, cousins, and sisters. These puppies don't know them, it's been just my wife and I taking care of them with my mother and grandfather babysitting a few times for a day. Their mother knows these people as well as some other friends. I am hoping he had an off day. I didn't notice him being shy before last evening.

Saturday the new owners will come and get their puppies and get their first lesson. He and two other boys and one girl will be left and it will be easy to separate him for attention then Soon as I go home I am going to let him and the others out in the training yard and watch him from my hiding spot have my brother go in with them and give them attention and treats see what he does today. I am really glad my wife noticed this.

DarkestWolf

Jul-3

I know that's why I am worried he is my first shy pup.

Solitaire13

Jul-3

He really needs time and attention away from the other puppies. Some dogs just get lost in groups. You should have your brother take him away from the others and play with him while you tend to his siblings. This pup will benefit from one on one, especially with a stranger.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jul-3

You can handle it. Sol has very good advice.

Wolfenblu

Jul-3

I agree with Sol's advice. I have had a few shy ones at that age usually with a little attention they come out of it. I had a girl that was very shy she got parvo back before they had a vaccine and almost died. She got shy I think because of all the shots and pills but with some extra work she became almost too friendly with strangers and family. She saw strangers as positive but she surprised me at barking at a man I didn't trust who had no business at our house.

DarkestWolf

Jul-4

Last evening was better. I think he might of been overwhelmed a bit the night before with the client and his wife and two well behaved kids.

He came slower then the other puppies but be did approach my brother and when he dragged the toy this time he did chase not just watched. He was wagging his tail too which he did not do last night it wasn't tucked.

I did come on my phone last night and check the posts I can't reply because they always disappear when I do.

I took him to the back yard by himself and he stuck with me like glue I had my brother come in after letting him drag a leash around sit on the ground I handed him the leash and walked off a little ways having him do nothing but hold the leash the puppy whined for a minute looking at me tugging the leash then he turned to bite it saw my brother and went over and sniffed him.

No hesitation soon as he realized my brother had him he went to him to play. I had told my brother to do nothing unless the puppy interacted with him then he played with him.

I think he just needs more exposure to people and some extra attention. Later after a couple of plays with him my wife came out while we were sitting on the ground just letting him do what he wanted he curled up in my lap for a nap he heard the door open saw my wife and ran to her.

He seems to like her better then us guys so I am thinking maybe he would be more responsive to a female owner but she has to be the right one.

I thought well maybe we had the wrong pup he was so much more responsive I tried out the other male even though we were sure it was the one with the green collar we tried out yellow collar not a shy bone in that boys body.

Thank you so much Solitaire for the advice.

I am going to have my sister come over after she gets off of work and play with him without me she gets off earlier then I do see how he does

Solitaire13

Jul-4

Great to hear he is coming around. Who knows? Maybe he just had a bad day. Keep us posted as to how he is doing.