German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jul-11

Is it worse or are we hearing about it more?

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jul-11

This looks promising.

FriedFishie

Jul-11

I can only make a guess, but I feel like misinformation is spread more consistently now. People act like ESAs are effectively service animals. I knew a student this past year who brought her ESA to classes, which was strictly prohibited. None of her professors were willing to say or do anything, because they didn't know for sure that they could. The dog disrupted classes.

I'm sure there's a degree of both - more people being irresponsible, and we hear about it all more. In fact, hearing about it more might even make more people inclined to have ESAs when they wouldn't otherwise.

I've said it before here, and I'll say it again: I'd qualify for an emotional support animal. I don't have a prescription for one intentionally. I don't need one, if I were to get a prescription, it would be for the wrong reasons. I have known people to benefit greatly from having ESAs with them on flights and in stressful situations like flights. People who have a lot of generalized anxiety, etc. But it seems like more and more people bring their ESAs in cabin just because they feel like it, not because it really helps them. And I get it - I wouldn't want to fly Schubert in cargo. I wouldn't want to fly any dog in cargo. But I also wouldn't feel right cheapening the name of ESAs by having one when I don't truly need one. (not to mention, Schubert would be a complete mess on a flight)

Wolfenblu

Jul-11

The trainer that's going to help me do SchH with Zulu told me he saw an advert where a man would train both ESA canines and Service dogs but no pits and small dogs on his approval. Thought that was interesting.

I think training would be good for them ESA thoughts?

Solitaire13

Jul-11

I would like to see that advertisement if you could get a link please.

Solitaire13

Jul-11

I think it is getting worse. 

I read the other day an article where a woman wrote that if a plane stresses you that much, maybe you just shouldn't fly.

I think a lot of people have things that stress them. They change THEIR lives to accommodate these fears, not everyone else's.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jul-11

If someone can’t go anywhere without an ESA I understand wanting one. But I think it has exploded into something it was never meant to be. You can get one but you don’t need one.  There are so many now, do they all need them?

Jeri (azpaints)

Jul-11

I support this completely.  The other option would be to require that those who say they have a need for an emotional support dog be required to provide proof of training.  Maybe a CGC at the least?   Or require muzzles and doggie diapers for ESDs  - not for service dogs.