German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Kazell

Sep-21

I had an idaho shag pup very temporarily. Wasn't super impressed personally, he was cute enough but nothing I'd want unless I was out on a ranch needing a herding dog. The people told me he'd be good for what I wanted but was very obvious pretty quick he wasn't going to fit at all. I've heard some good things about them but think like some other breeds they'd do better to stay as a ranch dog that herds. With some of those dog breeds depending on the breeding they just aren't really satisfied with town living even when doing agility and such. Of course individual mileage may vary but out here there are a lot of puppies sold to working homes only for very good reason, and working homes do not include agility and sports.  One of my friends she has done a ton with her heeler and thankfully he's old enough now he's starting to mellow a little. But she really wished she was able to work him in herding because he just wasn't satisfied with everything she did with him. (She grew up on a ranch but had to move to live into town for college and got the breeds she was used owing. Her female does well but she did feel like she let the heeler down.)

Also Sol, not sure if you're joking but depending on the person/area you get the heeler from they aren't just a GSD in a smaller dapple coat. They may share some traits but a lot of them have a straight mean streak and not just like the aggression that people say should be in shepherds. I do know of one person that his dogs, well ranchers don't buy from him but people all over the country wanting a pet heeler do. They like them well enough and from what I've heard his dogs are pretty mellow and seem to have a lot of what I associate with heelers bred out of them.  They might be a bit closer to GSDs. Have you looked at or heard of english shepherds at all? From what I've heard of them they seem a lot more similar to GSDs traitwise. I was really looking into them and found two breeders that had what I wanted. But neither would work out for getting a puppy when I had time to get one.

• Edited September 21, 2019 11:41 pm  by  Kazell
DW (GSDogwalker)

Sep-22

It’s a designer dog and there are always unwanted side effects.  Labradoodles are Labs mixed with Poodle and they are wild.  I don’t know anyone who got one who was prepared for their high energy levels.

Solitaire13

Sep-22

I have not had any first hand experience with English Shepherds but what I am reading, they seem very much like Collies. Nothing wrong with Collies, I like them a lot too.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Sep-22

I forgot Collies.  I watched a Collie video and the first thing I saw was a Collie sailing over an 8’ fence.  There are no Collie breeders around.

Solitaire13

Sep-22

If I could take care of all the breeds I would like to experience or enjoy once more, a Collie would be one of them.

Have you considered a Newfoundland?

Kazell

Sep-22

What makes you think of collies in your mind? The stuff I'm reading they're herding dogs similar to BCs and Aussies but known for being more laid back comparatively and tend towards being protective of the stock rather than just wanting to herd them. You can in other words leave them close to stock and don't have to worry about them harassing them. Temperament wise they're also supposed to be aloof with people but not shy or aggressive bonding strongly to their person. 

They were also developed as a multi-purpose dog like GSDs were. Used for guarding and hunting as well as herding. 

• Edited September 22, 2019 1:35 pm  by  Kazell
DW (GSDogwalker)

Sep-22

Way too big and they are subject to bloat.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Sep-22

Lassie. I found an old Lassie movie on Netflix and watched it and I was all Collie for about ten minutes, until I realize there were no local breeders.

Solitaire13

Sep-22

I like Collies a lot.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Sep-22

I do too.  There are very nice ones called Gambits but I can’t find the kennel anywhere.  Ed and Shelly Degner and Lisa Davis.  They also go by Canyon Collies.  I can’t locate them anywhere.  

Caveat, I am NOT in BH or anywhere near it, but this was a pretty big show with a lot of breeders in the show results catalog.

https://jbradshaw.com/79/ind167.htm