German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Dlila's Homecoming!   Welcome and Administration

Started 10/18/19 by Solitaire13; 1002 views.
DW (GSDogwalker)

10/19/19

It’s also possible she is atypical.  I met a 6 month old ACD at a local fair and he was not at all social with me or my dog.  He was owned by the president of a dog club.  She used to have Aussies and I’m not sure why she changed breeds.  She said he needs a lot of socialization.  

Solitaire13

10/19/19

Yes it is but that is why I stress to get a working line.  Show dogs are rarely bred for proper temperament.  

Have you looked up ACD temperament?  What did you find out?

DW (GSDogwalker)

10/19/19

Not social with people except family

Solitaire13

10/19/19

https://cattledogworld.com/good-family-dog/

Make sure to watch the video with the little girl.  That is Dlila to the T except she does that to the unruly dogs.

DW (GSDogwalker)

10/19/19

OMG that dog with the saddle looks just like K. I wonder if she is part cattle dog.  She behaves like that too.

DW (GSDogwalker)

10/19/19

I just saw 5 deal breakers in a deal break list.

extremely high energy and destructive if they don’t get enough.

extremly nippy

extremely smart (smarter than we are)  

extremely neede

they live a very long time and you are dealing with all those things their whole lives

Solitaire13

10/19/19

Sounds like German Shepherds in a 30# body, except for the longevity part.

Kazell

10/19/19

Honestly to me they are very different than shepherds. There are similarities of course but the overall package comes together to form a different sort of dog. For example a german shepherd can be used on sheep, heelers generally can't as they are too aggressive on animals in general. 

Headstrong, feisty, and not very social. Most of the ones I know are not very good with other dogs. Very strong willed and won't back down and may instigate. It's not uncommon for fights to suddenly break out between them and other dogs even ones they've been around a lot as they can instigate a fight or not back down from any sort of challenge and begin a fight when challenged. Which makes sense when they're used to take on angry backcountry cows. 

I have met very very few that are social with strangers. They range from ignoring you to be being standoffish to nipping if you try to pet. 

I haven't noticed them to be as versatile as other breeds. They want to herd and that's what they'll do.

That said I know of one person back in my hometown. Not a single one of his dogs go to working homes but he has people across the country as repeat buyers for pets. From what he was saying they are much more mild and sociable than a normal heeler. But for example unless either of you had a ranch and cattle there are a lot of heeler litters up here that you wouldn't be able to buy puppies out of. 

Im not sure what the heelers in Texas are like but there is a couple of unique lines down that way from what I've heard. The one I know should 100% to be fully happy be living out on a ranch herding cattle, he live with a female dog and that's where the strong willed fights can come into play even between male pairings. The owners are very diligent and have worked hard to keep them from happening but it does.

i know of a lot of heelers that are good until maturity but after that are more likely to bite somebody than let them pet them. Not a fault either as most are ranch dogs that see a very limited range of people and leave visitors alone unless they try to pet them. 

That said many heelers I know have an issue with going after cars/car tires. Obviously not a desirable thing but super common issue people have with them and have to work on. 

I really hope they don't become a more common pet breed. They may be pretty dogs but it'll very quickly go south unless there is some intense selection in breeding. Thankfully the selling to ranch homes only and the reputation prevents a lot of that up here.